Tree identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
IMG_0993.JPG
Well, I've looked this up to try to find out what it is, but I can't find an answer. Kind of has a licorice type smell when cut. Thin bark. Dropped it this morning as it was rotted at the base and threatening my chicken coop.

IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG

Looks like some type of birch tree with the horizontal lines on the bark. Does it smell like wintergreen? If so may be black birch or yellow birch.

It does have a strong smell. I was saying licorice but I could see wintergreen. Bark doesn't taste bad either. Seems like nice dense wood.

Yeah there is a group of people around here that will cut down a black birch so they can scape the inner bark with a sharp spoon. Then they will eat the stuff. I really like the way the black birch aka the sweet birch smells. Pretty good firewood too.

Reactions: jrems
Haha that's great. I'll probably hold off on that but thanks for the info.

Reactions: Fuut Master
It's some type of Birch but I don't think it is Black Birch, doesn't look right, and if it was it would have a definite Wintergreen smell to it, easily noticed. Maybe Water or Yellow Birch?

I love birch--smells great, splits easy, and burns hot and reasonably long. Not completely sure what type you have there. One thing that is fairly common with birches is that the bark is pretty water tight. I always split mine quickly, as it doesn't dry much if it isn't split. In fact, it will rot easily if not split since the bark (if unbroken) will prevent drying. Also, I stack it with the bark side up--this is a good practice with wood in general, but even more so with birch.

If any of the bark peels away or falls off during splitting, it will make an excellent fire starter. I just processed a large birch and have been using some of the bark to start fires--it will even light when wet.

Agreed on the firestarters. I made a bunch of homemade birch firestarters last fall, they work great. This definitely has that wintergreen smell.

The ones I made were two pieces of peeled birch bark crossed and curled over each other like an x. Makes a pretty tight little package and burns hot and fast due to the oils in the bark.

I just use a small handful of bark (the thin stuff on the outside) and light it. Seriously, it will go right up even if it is wet--the oil in the bark is one heck of an accelerant.

Looks like some type of birch tree with the horizontal lines on the bark. Does it smell like wintergreen? If so may be black birch or yellow birch.
Sorry for reviving an oldish thread but your posting helped me ID a tree today. I thought it might be cherry but when I split a piece I smelled wintergreen. A light bulb went off, I ran inside and searched this forum and voila! So thanks for helping me ID a birch... :)

Reactions: Fuut Master
I agree not black birch, which gas a greyer color to it.

Reactions: Lakeside
To me it's yellow birch, but I'm no good with photos. Has to be some kind of birch.

I love the smell of black birch trees. I’m glad I could help.

Sorry for reviving an oldish thread but your posting helped me ID a tree today. I thought it might be cherry but when I split a piece I smelled wintergreen. A light bulb went off, I ran inside and searched this forum and voila! So thanks for helping me ID a birch... :)