Triple wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ijbelair55

Jan 8, 2014
sussex nj
I was wondering if any knows if they make a triple wall stove pipe that is zero clearance? Or if not what is closest to zero clearance ? Thanks

That's correct. The minimum clearance for double-wall stove pipe is 6". There is no triple-wall stove pipe that I know of, but there is triple wall chimney pipe which has a clearance of 2".

FWIW, double-wall chimney pipe is a better quality and it has a smaller diameter ( 8" vs 10") which can make clearances easier to achieve.

closest you can get is 6" with doublewall stove pipe and 2" with class A chimney pipe. some people can get the two confused.

Id say either triple wall or solid pack. Both 2" clearance. Should stop calling solid pack double wall.

I was wondering if any knows if they make a triple wall stove pipe that is zero clearance? Or if not what is closest to zero clearance ? Thanks
No there is no zero clearance chimney pipe. Most pipe is 2" clearance. Triple wall needs more space than double wall insulated because the pipe is larger

There is a 6" triple wall chimney that is 1.5" to combustibles, but the outer diameter is 9" instead of 8" so there is no gain.

Thanks everybody it’s not for a wood stove . I have two flues and one fireplace had oil furnace venting into it! So plan is to retake fireplace for another stove and reroute oil into triple wall pipe and go up through floors and box it in, just trying to make it small as possible (box)as it would be in kitchen

Thanks everybody it’s not for a wood stove . I have two flues and one fireplace had oil furnace venting into it! So plan is to retake fireplace for another stove and reroute oil into triple wall pipe and go up through floors and box it in, just trying to make it small as possible (box)as it would be in kitchen
The clearances are the same. Unless the furnace allows for the use of l-vent.

Yes L-vent. Some oil furnaces allow for its use others dont

I will look it Into it thanks a lot !!! Just got quoted 6200$$$ for 22 ft of pipe straight shot up through 2 floors then mitering over in attic then up through roof .. thought that was pretty high

I will look it Into it thanks a lot !!! Just got quoted 6200$$$ for 22 ft of pipe straight shot up through 2 floors then mitering over in attic then up through roof .. thought that was pretty high
It sounds high yes. But i dont know any of the extenuating circumstances. There are lots of things that can run the costs up quickly. Or it could just me a high price.

Seems pretty straight forward come up between joists on two floors miter over across attic then through roof ( hole on both floors has been cut already

Seems pretty straight forward come up between joists on two floors miter over across attic then through roof ( hole on both floors has been cut already
Sounds high. You've done a good part of the labor.

If it is as straight forward as you say then yes that is way high. But keep in mind the materials will be more than for wood because it must be 316 innerwall. 304 which is standard for wood and cheaper wont last. But again without some serious complications the price is high

The Selkirk Metalbestos double wall pipe has an engineered clearance spec to combustibles of 2".

I would call an HVAC guy and get a quote for a new furnace complete with new vent installed before popping for that high quote for vent only.

I would call an HVAC guy and get a quote for a new furnace complete with new vent installed before popping for that high quote for vent only.
I am not sure how you think a new furnace and new vent will cost less than just a new vent. If gas was available and you could go with a condensing furnace that would be one thing. But this is oil it either needs a stack or a power vent which comes with its own issues