Triple wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Furnace is less then 2 years old was goin to sell house but decided to stay so I want other fireplace back for wood stove .. I have no other spots to put a stove in basement

I just paid $3500 for my install which sound similar to yours but without the bend in the attic. from the first floor, through the second, the attic, then out through the roof. Selkirk double wall chimney and stove pipe. I'm in the suburban Seattle area so my costs should be higher than most.
The op is going through 2 floors not 1 and his needs to be oil grade not wood. I still think the quote is high but those differences and the elbows could easily add 1000 or more above your job. And i doubt seattle costs much more than sussex.

I added up everything on Rockford chimney today added 6 ft extra pipe and 3 extra elbows it was 2475$ including thru floor sleeve and roof kit

I added up everything on Rockford chimney today added 6 ft extra pipe and 3 extra elbows it was 2475$ including thru floor sleeve and roof kit
Was it the same quality chimney as quoted in 316 inner liner and all the required support brackets etc.? If so order it and get to work

I would of rather just paid some one to do job as I’m swamped at work but I guess I will have to consider it.. they never told me what kind of pipe they would use. I emailed them back so waiting to hear cause Im curious myself

Because $6200 for 22ft of pipe is highway robbery. An HVAC company will bid the job complete and likely give you a new furnace and flue for less than $6200. HVAC is a very competitive business. Rockford is selling pipe retail. An HVAC company would charge less even with their markup.

I kinda know a little about HVAC business. One job I just had input on added a Water Heater replacement to a bid for Gas furnace/AC and the added cost was less than you could buy the Heater for and do it yourself.

Yah I know had furnace put in and old one removed new oil line and central air condenser put on for 4500 !! That’s why I asked same guy to give me a quote

He doesnt want the new job is the reason. Really Im not kidding. Had it been included with the prior job you would have been golden.

To retain a major brand franchise (Carrier, Trane, Lennox etc.) they MUST move a certain number of units per month. Your flue job doesnt interest him now at this point.

Because $6200 for 22ft of pipe is highway robbery. An HVAC company will bid the job complete and likely give you a new furnace and flue for less than $6200. HVAC is a very competitive business. Rockford is selling pipe retail. An HVAC company would charge less even with their markup.
How can you say it is highway robbery without seeing the job? I agree it sounds over priced but we cant say for sure without seeing it. In addition i am sure there are hvac guys who install chimneys very well. I just havnt come across one yet. You are right it is very competitive because of that many times they use the cheapest possible materials and i have yet to come across one who went the extra mile to make sure it was right.

I also wouldnt be so sure about them selling the pipe cheaper. There are times retailers sell cheaper than i can buy it wholesale.

It is very possible he didnt want the job and gave a price to make sure he didnt get it. We all do it at times for one reason or another.

I would of rather just paid some one to do job as I’m swamped at work but I guess I will have to consider it.. they never told me what kind of pipe they would use. I emailed them back so waiting to hear cause Im curious myself
Get other quotes. There are lots of chimney guys in your area. But make sure to get and check references. There are allot of guys who are less than reputable.

We all know your are just going to end up doing it yourself!

You just havent accepted the idea yet.;)

We all know your are just going to end up doing it yourself!

You just havent accepted the idea yet.;)
He has only gotten one quote i wouldnt jump to that conclusion yet.

Well he wasn’t just doin thAt for me he was finally hooking up AC lines and installing unit outside which he quoted me 4200 $ so if he gave me good number on pipe I would of said go head but calling chimney guys today ..I will post pics so everyone can see job later