Trouble slowing the burn in our waterford wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbourne84

Sep 18, 2020
Ann Arbor, Mi
We are renting a house with a Waterford Erin wood stove and the issue we are having is that this stove has no dampers to shut when we want a slower burn.

The stove looks similar to this one

There is a single knob on top which (according to the manual) opens and closes a vent to let more or less heat into the room. I dont notice any difference so I leave it open most of the time but if I close it the flu temp does seem to go up.
When I light a fire, closing the main door visibly kicks the burn into high gear, so there's obviously some air-flow system that works well. My issue is that the only way I can figure to slow down the burn is to open the door, which I dont want to do when I'm not home.

Any advice?

must be a different model because mine does not have that, there's not even any evidence of one ever being there
Is it a wood stove or a coal stove?

Post a picture or two of the stove.

Here is the link to manuals. Appears there is a primary and secondary air control. Primary is on the back right top and secondary is centered above the door. There looks like other settings as well as the manual states it will burn any solid fuel.