Troybilt log splitter problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gregory

Jun 9, 2017
PA
IMG_0250.JPG
Hello,
Was looking for some advice on my troybilt 27 ton lo splitter.
It used to not kick out automatically in reverse. The leaver would jump so I was careful to not let the ram go all the way back.
I let my friend use it when I wasn't there and he forgot about it not automatically kicking off. Now the ram doesn't move at all. Can't find any leaks. Anyone have any trouble shooting advice on where to start first?

Thanks
Greg

Out looking at it again I did find a leak or air seepage where the round thing is on the pump. Guess I'll separate that and put a new gasket on. Do I have to bleed the system for air afterwards?

View attachment 198003 Hello,
Was looking for some advice on my troybilt 27 ton lo splitter.
It used to not kick out automatically in reverse. The leaver would jump so I was careful to not let the ram go all the way back.
I let my friend use it when I wasn't there and he forgot about it not automatically kicking off. Now the ram doesn't move at all. Can't find any leaks. Anyone have any trouble shooting advice on where to start first?

Thanks
Greg
Mine didn't quit but it wouldn't kick out so I replaced it with a new one through northern hydraulics. Kinda a pain but there is a video on utube because the replacement is better and less expensive.

No bleeding of the system needed. The air will work itself out in short order. For trouble shooting it is a pretty simple system. Pump makes pressure and volume. Seals hold back pressure and the valve directs flow. Ya gotta figure out what IS and what IS NOT working. First step is to make sure the pump is pumping. You can do that my removing the input hose to the valve and turning the motor over. If that works - move on to valve. Easy way is to pull the hoses from the cylinder and with the valve in push or pull position, turn the engine over. Do this for both positions just to be sure. Does the valve direct flow? If so it is probably cylinder seals.

This is an extremely basic troubleshooting flow. If you find a problem at any stage we can go deeper, but I wasn't gonna type out a book.

Reactions: Lone_Gun