Trying to finalize the details of an insert install plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
I've done alot of reading of past posts and put in a few of my own with some limited feedback but I am going to put in one last post on the topic. My install plan:

1. Regency CI1200 Insert into a Zero Clearance, Factory, Prefab Majestic BR42 Fireplace.

2. Reline existing double wall factory metal chimney (8" diameter) with a 6" flexible SS liner.
- What is best insulation method? Blanket wrap? How thick - 1/2"?
- Is there a pre-insulated product available that will fit thru the damper?
- The Chimney length is about 20'. Should flex be used the entire length or just from the insert thru the damper?
- Should the original Chimney Cap be replaced?
- An adpter such as http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-14940.html must be used to allow airflow in original factory chimney?

3. Block Off Plate
- Install block off plate (ring) with screws and high-temp silicone.

I would like this all to be reversible. Does anyone with experience doing this type of install have any feedback (good or bad)??

Thanks!

Blood,

#2. You should be able to use the Magnaflex Insuflex liner (flex all the way they sell different lengths for your chimeny height) check with them for the Outside Diameter (OD) and your 8" that you already have. May want to to make double check the ID to make sure it fits, in regards if your chimney is straight up, or if you have any 90's.

May be possible to use the 8" chimney cap, but most kits will come with a new top plate, and cap to cover the top of your chimney.

#3. when you install the block off plate, insulate with rockwool, and put up your plate (i do not think that you need to seal off plate with silicone, but use screws to secure. The plate will reflect much of the heat, and the insulation will also help keep the heat in the house instead of going up the chimney.

Not sure what you are talking about reversible.

Good Luck with the install

Daren

I think the 6" Magnaflex insulflex is 7 7/8" OD IIRC.

If you're going to leave your existing 8" diameter double wall chimney do you need an insulated product? If you in fact do I think it would be your best option to buy the insulflex, otherwise you might have trouble feeding a combo blanket / SS liner through that space. The insulflex is already a tight squeeze and it may have some problems at the double wall joints...don't know. It will be a test of patience to get it in there regardless.

Best to read up on the product and see if it will work in your application.

steve

Thanks all who commented on the insuflex. This looks like the way to go. My damper opening is 7-7/8" diameter and according to the specs the liner is 7-7/16". That's a whopping 7/16 of clearance on the diameter - should be easy : ~). Kits are pricey but with all of the constraints I have, this seems to be the cleanest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.