Trying to get my wood finished for this year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
I had full intentions of getting my final two loads of wood for this year, to make it a total of 12 cords. Which, should last me the next three years.
Unfortunately, I will have to wait until these fires get under control, and the woods are open again.
When I turned off the highway to get to my spot, I was met with a ministry of forest employee who told me that everything is shut down and no traffic is allowed on the roads, other than fire fighters and equipment.
It's horrifying to see the whole province on fire, and so many people evacuated from their homes.

Well that sucks.

I did buy some fire killed spruce a couple years ago. It was fairly dry wood and the price was right at the time - but getting all those tiny particles of burnt carbon out of the carpet again, no thanks.

I went to Yellowstone after the fire in 2002. It was impossible for me to wrap my pea brain around the scope of the devastation. No matter how far you drove, it was still there. I remember looking up how far the smoke trails went on NOAA.

It is very smoky up here, in central BC. Reports from the news, 327,000 hectares on fire. That is 808, 000 acres. That's a lot of fire wood.
Some where in the area of 150 wild fires burning now.
BC Wildfire smoke.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm