trying to install new burner-black pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ihuntgsps

Jan 23, 2009
western iowa
Just brought home a NC13 Englander and am setting it up. how tightly do I join the black pipes together between the flue collar on the stove and the tie in at the ceiling for the chimney? If it is completely tight with no movement and I install the upper end in the chimney how do I get the wood burner/ flue collar under it? Tilt the stove? try tilting/bending pipe to make it fit then straighten it out?
Also do I apply that black pipe cement between sections or just compression holds them together?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome ihunt,

If you are going straight up from stove with single wall black pipe to ceiling pass through/connector you can use what is called a slip joint connector. It is a connector that will slip 4-5" within itself and then slip back out. Here is a link:http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5IM-BM0042. They are common and available locally. No need for furnace cement between joints. Just seat them in as far as possible and secure with 3 evenly spaced screws. Make sure the corrugated end of the black pipe points toward the stove--thus keeping creosote from dripping out of the pipe.

The black pipe to Class-A adapter that came with the ceiling support box I used (Selkirk SuperVent found at Lowes and Menards) was made to give about 4 inches of adjustment. You slide your black pipe up onto it farther than you need to go, and then slide it back down into the stove collar.

Once it's in place, just wipe off the excess furnace cement (if you used any) that is left when you slide the pipe back down.

-SF

Just found a slip connector at the local hardware store. Should work a lot better than what I was trying to do yesterday.
Great site...great advice...Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.