Trying to recreate Irish fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StevieD

Aug 26, 2019
New York and Maine
Hi Everyone,

I recently returned from a trip to Ireland. We stayed at several country hotels who maintained fires during the day and night in their bar, and some of the public places. I noticed that the fires burned a long time, without a lot of flame (not the typical roaring fire I have in my fireplace). After speaking with one of the staff, he showed me why - each of the fires consisted of a small pyre of coal, with a 3-4 chunks of wood surrounding the coal in a teepee fashion. The coal was not on a grate. The coal did not appear to be peat, but not sure what type of coal it was (small, irregular shaped but roughly briquette sized). The interior coal portion was burning quite hot with a nice glow. The wood around was burning very slowly - no big flames, but red hot on the side facing the coal. Perhaps the secret is wet wood around the coals? Anyway, I'd like to try to recreate this in my fireplace. Has anyone ever heard of this technique? I guess the coal could have been peat, but I don't think so as I didn't detect a peaty smell.

S

Hi Everyone,

I recently returned from a trip to Ireland. We stayed at several country hotels who maintained fires during the day and night in their bar, and some of the public places. I noticed that the fires burned a long time, without a lot of flame (not the typical roaring fire I have in my fireplace). After speaking with one of the staff, he showed me why - each of the fires consisted of a small pyre of coal, with a 3-4 chunks of wood surrounding the coal in a teepee fashion. The coal was not on a grate. The coal did not appear to be peat, but not sure what type of coal it was (small, irregular shaped but roughly briquette sized). The interior coal portion was burning quite hot with a nice glow. The wood around was burning very slowly - no big flames, but red hot on the side facing the coal. Perhaps the secret is wet wood around the coals? Anyway, I'd like to try to recreate this in my fireplace. Has anyone ever heard of this technique? I guess the coal could have been peat, but I don't think so as I didn't detect a peaty smell.

S
Do not try to burn coal in an open fireplace it is very risky. Coal puts of large quantities of CO when burnt if your draft is weak or stalls it could end very badly

Do not try to burn coal in an open fireplace it is very risky. Coal puts of large quantities of CO when burnt if your draft is weak or stalls it could end very badly

I do have CO monitors in our house, but I just checked the emission factors for coal vs. wood...bituminous coal and wood emit about the same amount of CO - 105 g/kg, and for anthracite, the CO emissions are actually less (30 g/kg)...so I'm not sure coal would put out any more CO than using wood (plus, it appears that lots of folks in Ireland and UK still use coal to heat their house - assuming it's relatively safe from that perspective.

They are probably using coal fireplaces and special briquettes

Possibly peat briquettes, those light easily and burn with only a small flame. Peat briquettes do still have that wonderful smell, but you'd probably not notice it inside.
Most Irish and English open fireplaces are designed for coal, and peat is still commonly used in Ireland, whether in traditional "turf sods" or commercial briquettes.

TE

I do have CO monitors in our house, but I just checked the emission factors for coal vs. wood...bituminous coal and wood emit about the same amount of CO - 105 g/kg, and for anthracite, the CO emissions are actually less (30 g/kg)...so I'm not sure coal would put out any more CO than using wood (plus, it appears that lots of folks in Ireland and UK still use coal to heat their house - assuming it's relatively safe from that perspective.
Ok now look up how much co is produced when coal is simply smouldering on a floor like you describe. The figures you posted are from coal being burnt in a proper coal appliance where air is drawn through the coal bed from underneath . Coal is safe to use if done right. Burning it the way you described is not safe

As per above probably peat briquettes but is possible it could be canal coal as well. Canal coal popular to use in fireplaces on a grate around 1900. Especialy in the cities. It would burn similar to peat with flames. Canal coal was a very low grade not really seen nowadays. Although I've seen some soft coal very close to that.

It wouldn’t be the first time some Irishman did something not so smart. Just ask me. LOL.
I do know a guy. Very old and still moving who drops a shovel of coal into his wood stove at every reload.

Hi Everyone,

S
I remember something similar in England. A couple of logs propped against each other with a slow but bright burn in the inner faces. The opposing burning faces propagating each other with radiant heat. There was, I think, a bed of coals from previously burnt logs, but also a lot of ash slowing down the fire and retaining heat.

The briquettes they call coal are actually a mix of pulverized anthracite, a small amount of bit and regular charcoal compressed into octagonal type briquettes, some are shaped like eggs . Peat is cut into long bars or bricks . You'll be better off using charcoal briquettes in your open fire place . Listen to Bholler it way too risky to attempt to burn anthracite in an open fire ( your wood will burn out and you'll lose all draft and the coal will still be putting out fumes 6-7 hrs after everything else is cold . )