Tube Problem in Regency WarmHearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Check out this problem in my Regency WarmHearth:

FireplaceProblem003.jpg

It wasn't until I took this photo that I realized that it probably happened because the firebricks shifted, leaving a gap and causing the tube to get too hot.

Can I get this fixed easily -- have someone weld in a new tube?

Thanks,

Hi-

That tube should just slide out to the left and drop down and out. Might need to grab it with some vise grips, and tap the visegrips with a hammer to get it going. You shoud be able to get that tube from a local dealer in your area. It's made of stainless steel and probably a little pricey.
Do you pack that full of wood and let the wood touch the tubes? I always leave a little room between the tube/top plate and the wood.

Dan

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Do you pack that full of wood and let the wood touch the tubes? I always leave a little room between the tube/top plate and the wood.

Although I rarely pack it full, there are times, due to the geometry of the logs, that the wood touches the tubes. I'll watch that in the future.

Thanks guys -- you got me pointed in the right direction and saved me the expense of having a sweep come and look at it. I ordered the new tube at $33 + shipping, and will get it next week.

You let a gap form between the two baffle pieces that caused a hotspot to form. You need to push those two pieces together so that the joint overlaps and seals as it was intended.

Here's the new tube, installed:

NewAirTube001.jpg

Note that due to erosion of the brick on the left, there's some space between the tube and the brick. I wonder if that's going to cause the same problem to occur again.

NewAirTube001.jpg

Can you wedge some non-combustible material on the outside (rail sides) edges of the top bricks to take out the slop? I'm also wondering if there's room on top of the bricks for a sheet of ceramic insulation to help prevent this from happening again.

That lap joint looks good enough on your pic, just so long as you don't let them creap apart. You might want to pour some ashes in the gap on the outer edge to keep the center gap closed.

If you notice flames getting sucked into the crack, you could lay a thin firebrick on top or a piece of ceramic tile as was suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.