Turn of the century gas can.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorghum

Apr 16, 2009
south central Minnesota
A rodent has gnawed through the yellow nozzle on my 1 gallon plastic gas jug. Because the business I work in welds plastic, I might be able to save it...... Assuming that I cannot. Can a person still buy, at a reasonable price, an "old fashioned" jug like you could get 14 years ago? Without the childproof/spillproof apparatus. Or better yet a metal one. Might be time to hit the yard sales.

A rodent has gnawed through the yellow nozzle on my 1 gallon plastic gas jug. Because the business I work in welds plastic, I might be able to save it...... Assuming that I cannot. Can a person still buy, at a reasonable price, an "old fashioned" jug like you could get 14 years ago? Without the childproof/spillproof apparatus. Or better yet a metal one. Might be time to hit the yard sales.

Not to my knowledge.
Garage sales ;)

Might find parts for it at some hardware stores.

Reactions: TreePointer
Nope.... Not new anyways :(

No spill makes a nice unit. A little pricey?

You can Modify a Blitz can? Remove the pour lock, locking collar, and install a vent (valve stem)?

Was a video in here not long ago. Look up gas can mods on YouTube.

There have been a few threads on here about that, search the forum for gas can. I think some mentioned the metal cans, or look into the racing industry. They still have old school cans. Also many people simply push the guts out of the new style.

The cans at Mills Fleet Farm had a cap that was like a child proof cap. Squeeze and turn to open. I could barely do it, there's no chance my 86 year old dad could. Of course he wouldn't be using the gallon of 2 cycle mix anyhow. I just looked at the Northern Tool site. I think I like the No Spill Jill gas can. Does anybody know if it works as promised?

The cans at Mills Fleet Farm had a cap that was like a child proof cap. Squeeze and turn to open. I could barely do it, there's no chance my 86 year old dad could. Of course he wouldn't be using the gallon of 2 cycle mix anyhow. I just looked at the Northern Tool site. I think I like the No Spill Jill gas can. Does anybody know if it works as promised?

Some here say they work the best of the ones out there.

Might have to fix your spout.
Hose or flexible tubing ;)

I wrote a thread similar to yours last year, "For the love of simple gas cans." MasterMech turned me on to No Spil then, and now like them so much that I've bought three. Great product / you get what you pay for!

You can get the square 5 gal race jugs for about $25 each on eBay with a fill hose. I don't know how well they'd work for filling small engine tanks, I use the ones I have for my race car.

I guess the thing I find funny is the logic behind the new style cans. I never used to spill with an old can. Ever. With the new cans I have I spill every time. Ever spill on top of a T head engined Gravely? The result is fire and lots of it.

Reactions: HDRock
You can get the square 5 gal race jugs for about $25 each on eBay with a fill hose. I don't know how well they'd work for filling small engine tanks, I use the ones I have for my race car.

$33.95 is Not bad I guess but that was lowest price I found, free ship HERE

You can modify a new can or get parts for old ones

I asked this seller on Ebay about his, GAS CAN SPOUT AND VENT KIT

Do these fit the old type cans or the new ones, or both ??
both....almost all of the cans have one of the two nozzle bases and there is an adapter for a few others.........these are very nice nozzles

How do ya like em ;?
I have 5. I like them just fine. They don't have a screw-on top, if that's what you're looking for though. There's a mesh that's in the neck that doesn't seem to come out-I turn around the funnel and use it like that to fill up at the gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.