Turns out a 15-hour burn is possible....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Ummm...what does the price breakdown look like per brick? Even at 25 cents per brick, that is (was) a $6.00 fire._g

Correct, but in a rental house with no proper wood available, even $0.25/brick is better than the alternative.

50 cents ea at my closest supplier.

I don't know the cost of these wood bricks but the large ones that I use from Tractor Supply are $1.00 each & weight about 7 lbs. Up until this coming cold snap I have been using 3 bricks per load & they last longer than any load of firewood that I can put in my stove .I start them with 1/4 of a Super Cedar .I was on a two load per day schedule ( no other heat) . Not cheap compared to free firewood but at $287.50 per ton compared to truly dry wood ,very close to the going rate around here . I will say that about have of the burn cycle is from the coaling stage. Very little ash & it's a completely burned / fine ash that is left ...............

Hmmm.... A pallet of 'em is $250 around here, so, yeah, around $0.25 apiece (1000 per pallet)

that's going to run over $400 a month at .50 and $200 at .25, every time I burn a Neils log I'm thinking of the money Im burning.

If I had a 3 cu ft block of pressed sawdust in my stove, it would probably last 2 days BUT the real question is how much heat are you getting during the entire burn?

The good thing is that they are recycling wood that would otherwise go to landfill.

For me I heat 1000sqft solely with a 1.7 cft stove using wood blocks . I will need to burn more blocks or add in some good dry oak with the coming colder temps .............

that's going to run over $400 a month at .50 and $200 at .25, every time I burn a Neils log I'm thinking of the money Im burning.

This is absolutely valid. In the absence of my (normally free) seasoned wood, though, it's any port in a storm.

Reactions: Ash
Try the Eco blocks from Tractor Supply - regularly $3.49 a six pack - cheaper than the "WoodBrickFuel" blocks. This six-pack weighs ~20 lbs. They often go on sale for $2.99. Not all TSC's carry the Eco blocks but they are a SKU and your local TSC will get them for you if you ask.
Here is URL: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/redstonetrade;-ecobrick-pack-of-6 . Personally I find the Eco blocks from TSC better than their three block package of larger blocks - those appear to me to be less tightly compressed.
GpsFool

On the way to TSC this afternoon... finally found an employee that knew what they were!

Status
Not open for further replies.