TV antenna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
On another post I saw someone with an elaborate home made attic antenna. I wish I could do that, but I have a non-dormered cape. Ever since the station I mostly watch had to make a change due to an FCC requirement their signal fades out. For several years I had an outside antenna. Other stations were fine, this UHF station has given me trouble every since the change.

I looked on a map and saw the stations transmitting tower was not in the direction where the outside antenna ended up being pointed.
Today I moved the outside antenna inside. I have it on a mast about 5' high, for now being held upright by a chair on the 2nd floor. It's now pointed toward the stations transmitting (I think) and I'm able to get a good signal on that station, unlike before. The test will be the evening and 11:00pm news. I haven't had cable for years, mostly just watch TV for news, and Motorweek, a PBS show via Roku.

It certainly seems like direction makes a big difference, especially with UHF. I'm old enough to know of the Channel Master rotating antenna systems that my parents had. Looking at houses - very few have conventional outdoor antennas these days. When I bought the house 35 years ago it didn't, but my neighbor behind me did with the rotating system until he passed away 4 years ago at age 98. He was an avid wood stove user, split wood into his 90s.

The 2nd floor is now just used for storage so I may leave it as is. I've heard of others who get decent reception with attic antennas. What I wonder is - and the reason I'm posting is, do any others have success with indoor antennas? Mine isn't top of the line, I think it was $35 or so.

Last edited:
We have this one in our attic. It works very well, once it's pointed in the right direction.
I don't use the remote. I set it up for the best reception on the most channels &
haven't moved it since then. I DO have to retune the TV every now & again, but all in all
we're happy with it. Beats the crap out of paying for cable, & our location is not favorable for Satellite...

We cut the proverbial cord years ago . . . and have been really happy . . . even though I do watch (admittedly) too much TV. I tend to do the Netflix thing, but my wife has found with the repacked and "stacked" TV stations there is a lot more to choose from with OTA TV stations -- my wife routinely will tune into Me TV after the evening news to watch MASH and the Andy Griffith show.

I DO have to retune the TV every now & again, but all in all we're happy with it. Beats the crap out of paying for cable, & our location is not favorable for Satellite...

Regarding retuning now & again - you mean rescan the channels? Yea I've heard of some outrageously high cable bills. Right now the signal is fading because it's windy out, so I may end up putting it outside in a different spot, but aimed differently than it was before.

Regarding retuning now & again - you mean rescan the channels? Yea I've heard of some outrageously high cable bills. Right now the signal is fading because it's windy out, so I may end up putting it outside in a different spot, but aimed differently than it was before.

Yeah, I meant rescan. We sometimes have channels break up on windy days, &
we actually get MORE channels over the winter, due to the leaves being gone (I think?)...

We cut the proverbial cord years ago . . . and have been really happy . . . even though I do watch (admittedly) too much TV. I tend to do the Netflix thing, but my wife has found with the repacked and "stacked" TV stations there is a lot more to choose from with OTA TV stations -- my wife routinely will tune into Me TV after the evening news to watch MASH and the Andy Griffith show.

Yes for those who watch TV often (you're 'normal', I'm in the minority) the silver lining of digital is all the sub-channels. I'm sure there's channels I'd like that I could get on the Roku. If you ever hear of a wood stove or firewood channel, please let me know!

Yeah, I meant rescan. We sometimes have channels break up on windy days, &
we actually get MORE channels over the winter, due to the leaves being gone (I think?)...

Ok thanks - I should do that once in a while. Interesting you mention leaves, that may be a significant factor. Someone on another forum mentioned several years ago their reception was better. It deteriorated a bit simply because of tree growth.

Reactions: DAKSY
Yes for those who watch TV often (you're 'normal', I'm in the minority) the silver lining of digital is all the sub-channels. I'm sure there's channels I'd like that I could get on the Roku. If you ever hear of a wood stove or firewood channel, please let me know!

HehHeh . . . my wife was watching the free Pluto offering on the Roku the other day and watching This Old House. Folks were looking at what they could do with an old fireplace and were in a store. The guy literally talked about how inefficient fireplaces are and then offered alternatives . . . but only talked about gas, pellets and electric . . . never mentioned the modern woodstoves which are much more efficient AND offer some of the perks of the sights and sounds of an actual wood fire.

HehHeh . . . my wife was watching the free Pluto offering on the Roku the other day and watching This Old House. Folks were looking at what they could do with an old fireplace and were in a store. The guy literally talked about how inefficient fireplaces are and then offered alternatives . . . but only talked about gas, pellets and electric . . . never mentioned the modern woodstoves which are much more efficient AND offer some of the perks of the sights and sounds of an actual wood fire.
Yeah, I have seen some cringe-worthy commentary wrt woodstoves on that show.

Interesting - if I was watching that I'd expecting them to discuss the best source, wood burning stoves.

You would, but instead what was presented was a narrow, dealer-centric view. It's like there are times where the sponsors help pay for the show and get a special mention. It didn't start out that way, but now it is an enterprise business.

Reactions: fbelec
There is a smart phone app called "antennae point", I used it to aim my digital antennae in NE Georgia a few years back and it was extremely helpful. It shows you all the area repeater antennae. There are other apps out there, but this one worked good for me.

Thank you for the tip. I have an idea where my indoor antenna should be pointed and for the last week it's been doing pretty well, but not perfect. I looked on mapquest.com and used that as a general reference. When the antenna was outside it was clearly in the wrong direction. I routinely got no picture and 'Low or no signal'. Occasionally I'll get a couple seconds of what I think is called pixelization (spell check doesn't even have anything close for that word!) but it hasn't dropped completely out like it used to outside.

Direction does make a difference. It's so much better indoors, aiming correctly.

Occasionally I'll get a couple seconds of what I think is called pixelization (spell check doesn't even have anything close for that word!) but it hasn't dropped completely out like it used to outside.

The term is macroblocking. Video compression works by having one complete frame every X amount of frames. X is variable number depending on codec and settings. The following frames only add data where the full frame changes. The changed data is not available and you get a giant block of color.

UHF is basicly line of sight- so when out in the sticks like me what I am picking up is reflected signals and those have no relation per say to the actual transmission tower. there are times when I get Dallas /Ft. Worth stations clear as a bell or MInn, and other far off places but can't receive squat from stuff 50 miles away.