TV mounting above an EPA certified fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fenris

Jul 5, 2022
Baltimore, MD
My fiancée and I are in the process of designing a custom home in Maryland, and I'm posting here to confirm I'm looking at the right specifications of possible fireplaces, as they relate to TV mounting and furniture placement.

We would like to have a fireplace in the living room. The TV viewing distance will be about 13ft, from where we'll be sitting on the couch, to the wall where the TV will be mounted. With the overall layout of the space, the TV would have to be mounted above the fireplace - I'm starting to think it would be too high for comfortable viewing. We have video game consoles and a home theater PC, so will need a media console, that would be sitting to the side of the fireplace, so we also need to consider any side clearances for safety....plus the looks of the room with an off-center media console.

The house will have electric heat and our winters are fairly mild, so the fireplace would primarily be for aesthetics/ambience - we don't need to heat the house with wood. We would most likely be going with a high efficiency zero clearance wood burning fireplace, installed flush at floor level with a small tile hearth extension.

We haven't selected a specific model yet, but I've been checking the manuals for a few options, and looking at clearances to combustibles and distances for the shelf/mantle. Am I on the right track?

Like, I take that dimension, figure out where the mantle will be mounted, and the bottom of the TV can be right above that?

That is correct. Also, pay attention to the hearth extension requirements to see if it needs to be insulated with a floor-level firebox.

And yes, watching tv above the fireplace can be tiring and hard on the neck but there are lots of TVs set up that way these days.

Reactions: Fenris
I don’t mind the TV above the fireplace. In fact once I recline the sofa a bit the viewing angle is really good. We have 8’ ceilings. Plan ahead and run the wires so your HTPC has a thoughtful home. Same with speakers. You get once chance to easily pull wire add conduit ect. Consider an non combustible mantel that could act a heat shield for the TV.

there are lots of TVs set up that way these days.

True, but just cause it's popular doesn't mean it's good. We've both had some sporadic back muscle issues, so ergonomics and reducing neck strain are important.

I don’t mind the TV above the fireplace. In fact once I recline the sofa a bit the viewing angle is really good.

How high from the floor to bottom of your TV, and how far from TV to seating area? I don't think we'll be getting reclining furniture, plus ~50% of our TV usage is video games, where we tend to be sitting upright, which has me leaning towards no fireplace due to mounting height. I just want to make sure I'm not incorrectly ruling it out.

We are putting a lot of thought into conduit runs for various things. Ethernet to every room, conduit space for future home automation upgrades, security system, etc.

Reactions: EbS-P
True, but just cause it's popular doesn't mean it's good. We've both had some sporadic back muscle issues, so ergonomics and reducing neck strain are important.
I hear you. My wife was in a rear-end accident many years ago and still deals with neck pain. She is pretty sensitive about viewing angle.

Save your$$$ and skip the fireplace. Spend it on a portable generator and transfer switch. Or other upgrades. Probably zero clearance would cost 5-10k that’s a lot for something that’s in the the way 98% of the time.

Save your$$$ and skip the fireplace. Spend it on a portable generator and transfer switch. Or other upgrades. Probably zero clearance would cost 5-10k that’s a lot for something that’s in the the way 98% of the time.
But they want a fireplace and they are planning on a high efficiency unit which will actually heat I don't see why that would be a bad idea

Heat destroys electronics

We're also going to have a decent sized den on the first floor that will be used as an office and guest room. If we put a murphy bed there, we could fit a loveseat, and have the fireplace in that room.

The living room preference was because the living room is at the rear of the house, with a nice view. But then again, during fireplace months, the sun sets early, so that view just turns in to darkness.

To ebs-p's point, he's right, it would be in the way most of the time. And with home design, when there are competing options, one should go with the practical option of how the space will be actually be used, not the daydream vision of how it could be used. In a perfect world we'd have a dedicated TV room, and a dedicated fireplace/library/lounge room. But, ya know, budgets exist ;lol

We will be including a transfer switch in the initial build, but the generator install will be a future project.

Will you have natural gas or propane? I like the look of the Jotul gas stoves. Both modern and classic styles. They can be tucked in a corner. (Single story or two) And are not difficult to install later if a gas line is near. (Same could be said for a freestanding woodstove check out some of the pictures on the forum)

If you have a transfer switch just go ahead and get a cheaper 2-4kw genset. I think the automatic transfer switches are a luxury and most peoples money would be better spent elsewhere. (Tv room with projector?).

The neighborhood where we're building doesn't have natural gas. We were considering having a large buried propane tank installed, primarily for the cooktop and water heater. But after reading more about induction cooktops, that's the way we're going. And will be adding solar within a few years, so the electric bill shouldn't be too terrible.

We don't really like the looks of freestanding stoves for the style house we're going for, even with the more modern stove designs. Would love to have a cabin with a woodstove, but don't think it would fit this build.

If starting from scratch, you might want to design/build a fireplace with a significant mantle above it. I bought a VC Resolute even before I closed on this house - over 40 years ago. The 'freestanding' stove was installed completely withing the firebox, with a little VC-branded 'muffin' fan moving air about. That too still runs 42 years later. It keeps a 980 sq ft. home toasty warm. I estimate it has consumed 80 cords....

When it came time to get a new flat screen 15 or so years ago, about the only place to install it was above the fireplace. (My wife was utterly against it, preferring to hang it in a corner.) I too was concerned about the heat, but with a large craftsman-style wood mantel, heat is a non issue. (I've got an IR thermometer.) By installing *in* the fireplace, you will have greater flexibility - now and later. Flexibility WRT how 'big' a stove in terms of BTU output, and who knows, you may love it so much, you'll want to take it with you if you move. The next owner may not want a stove, rather only an occasional open fire. If designing, go with a traditional tile-line chimney, but run your flue pipe inside, all the way out the top. That will make for a hot, protected flue with great draft.

Cheers

Other than the viewing angle, a TV can be put over a modern EPA fireplace safely with some planning. Look at non-combustible mantels. It can act as a heat shield. You could further protect the TV by adding some heat shielding behind the set. This could be foil backed 1/2" insulation board or even a sheet of 30 ga sheet metal behind the sheetrock.

Reactions: Fenris and EbS-P
The neighborhood where we're building doesn't have natural gas. We were considering having a large buried propane tank installed, primarily for the cooktop and water heater. But after reading more about induction cooktops, that's the way we're going. And will be adding solar within a few years, so the electric bill shouldn't be too terrible.

We don't really like the looks of freestanding stoves for the style house we're going for, even with the more modern stove designs. Would love to have a cabin with a woodstove, but don't think it would fit this build.
We are all electric. Heatpump hvac and water heater. Two fireplace with wood stoves.

Insulate insulate insulate air seal. Put the hi efficiency Zero clearance fireplace on the want but not needed list. Do you recall snowmagedon February 2010 I think? If power is out it’s nice to have a backup heat plan.

If starting from scratch, you might want to design/build a fireplace with a significant mantle above it. I bought a VC Resolute even before I closed on this house - over 40 years ago. The 'freestanding' stove was installed completely withing the firebox, with a little VC-branded 'muffin' fan moving air about. That too still runs 42 years later. It keeps a 980 sq ft. home toasty warm. I estimate it has consumed 80 cords....

When it came time to get a new flat screen 15 or so years ago, about the only place to install it was above the fireplace. (My wife was utterly against it, preferring to hang it in a corner.) I too was concerned about the heat, but with a large craftsman-style wood mantel, heat is a non issue. (I've got an IR thermometer.) By installing *in* the fireplace, you will have greater flexibility - now and later. Flexibility WRT how 'big' a stove in terms of BTU output, and who knows, you may love it so much, you'll want to take it with you if you move. The next owner may not want a stove, rather only an occasional open fire. If designing, go with a traditional tile-line chimney, but run your flue pipe inside, all the way out the top. That will make for a hot, protected flue with great draft.

Cheers
Spending $25000 and up to build a fireplace only to spend another $5000+ to install a stove and liner just doesn't make sense when you can just do a high efficiency prefab fireplace that will be just as efficient for a fraction of the cost

Spending $25000 and up to build a fireplace only to spend another $5000+ to install a stove and liner just doesn't make sense when you can just do a high efficiency prefab fireplace that will be just as efficient for a fraction of the cost
With some planning, the EPA ZC can look like a traditional fireplace, but with the advantage of ductable heat take-offs to help distribute heat upstairs or to an adjacent room.

Reactions: bholler
I really don't understand the aversion to high efficiency fireplaces. They are just stoves meant to be built into a wall. Their efficiency is pretty much the same etc.

Some, like the PE FP30, are near-identical adaptations of the freestanding (Summit's) stove's firebox.

Reactions: bholler and EbS-P
If you are designing a custom home why not have the architect design the space where you can have a fireplace and a tv somewhere else in the space so it's not above the fireplace? It is a custom house. Have it designed the way you need it.

I've had multiple TV's above mine with no issues. Mantle acts as a heat shield and up above is designed by architect exactly the way I needed it. And, so much nicer for all the ergo issues mentioned that I don't need to bend head/neck to view, very comfortable.

I've had multiple TV's above mine with no issues. Mantle acts as a heat shield and up above is designed by architect exactly the way I needed it. And, so much nicer for all the ergo issues mentioned that I don't need to bend head/neck to view, very comfortable.
If the TV has been changed a few times over the last 10 yrs then heat may not be an issue. Heat affects electronics over time, often drying out capacitors. A few years may not make a difference. It also matters how often is the fireplace used. This can be lifestyle and location dependent.

I just measured mine. 10’ to front of sofa. 55” tv 8” below 8’ ceiling. Tilted down for good viewing

If the TV has been changed a few times over the last 10 yrs then heat may not be an issue. Heat affects electronics over time, often drying out capacitors. A few years may not make a difference. It also matters how often is the fireplace used. This can be lifestyle and location dependent.
Nah, the TV only changed once, from a 55" to 80". The big helper is the mantle which acts as a deflector, so just make sure TV doesn't get any additional heat. When I test, the IR gun sez room temp is 72 and screen is the same, and I burn daily from October thru March, with no issues. Also, I can't remember anyone who had issues with capacitors, and I haven't replaced any ever.

Well if you keep reading, and want to know a few more deets on my setup here it is. TV is dry weight at 85lbs. on at a possible 30" rotatable flexible extension, so yes I was worried about that (yea Costco). When out full it's like a 300lbs. effective lever, so think holding a 5lb. weight at arms length, yikes, someone probably knows the proper name for that, but it's heavy at that length! Anyway, I actually called the mount company and they laughed at me and said it's actually tested to 500lbs. at 30", just to make sure. They said go ahead and hang on it, it'll be safe (I didn't though). Totally happy with the height and it's tilted down so very comfortable, and don't have to bend my head down uncomfortably like even when I'm writing this post on a laptop just to see the screen at eye level ground. I wouldn't have it any other way, all of my TV's whether over fireplace or otherwise are mounted this way too, good luck!

If you are designing a custom home why not have the architect design the space where you can have a fireplace and a tv somewhere else in the space so it's not above the fireplace? It is a custom house. Have it designed the way you need it.

We're building on a narrow waterfront lot, so the house can be max of 30ft wide and with our budget can afford to go 42 feet long.

The current first floor plan revision is included, with a 46ft house length. We're awaiting the revision down to 42ft (plus other changes). The top of the image, with the deck, is the rear of the house, looking out to the water.

A fireplace is on the want but don't need list, so other things are taking priority and driving the design.....two home offices, some guest rooms, large master suite, open floor plan kitchen/dining/living space with expansive water views.

We've seen some room layouts with the fireplace and TV next to each other, and don't think it looks very good, creates competing focal points of the room. With the deck/water views, we don't want to put it in the corner or on the wall with the deck.

At this point, I think we're leaning towards putting it in the first floor "bedroom" (which will really be more of a den/office for our usage). Or maybe just delete it entirely....we're going to have a firepit in the backyard, and probably a solo stove/chimenea for the deck. Obviously we wouldn't be using those in the dead of winter, but we'll still have plenty of fire time without a fireplace.

Screenshot_20220615-173354_Houzz (2).jpg

Check local code. It may not be permitted in a bedroom.
Mock up some scaled furniture to place on the plan and play with room layouts. Figure out where the sofa and the TV are likely to go.
The TV can go over the fireplace with suggestions already made. if not there, What about on the deck wall straddling the dining and living rooms?

The layout looks like a work in progress. It would be hard to enter the pantry with a counter in the way.

Last edited: