TV suggestion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With 2 young kids, a house to maintain and a full time job, I don't have the most amount of spare time.
But rather than watch crappy TV (I would say crappy TV is 90% of programming these days), I get the chance to learn new things about various topics with smart people (other than Joful and Jharkin) ;)

All that to say, is it even possible to buy a 13 inch TV these days??? I remember my dad buying one for me when I received my Nintendo in 1986...)

Reactions: Ashful
I think our 2 year old kitchen LCD is about 13". Don't hold me to it, but it's gotta be about that. It sits on the counter, tucked under a cabinet.

Wait, you mean TV can show programs other than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse , Dora and Daniel Tiger?????

I have to try that bsometime.... ;)

We got a 53" Sharp Aquos LED about 4 years ago. Thing has been on almost steady, hasn't missed a beat. We have about the same viewing distance, I likely wouldn't go smaller.

Here it's mostly Thomas & Friends, Kipper, Thomas & Friends, Caillou, Thomas & Friends, Sesame Street, Thomas & Friends, Arthur, Thomas & Friends...

Guess what the kid's getting for Christmas?

Reactions: jharkin
I normally get 400 or so channels, except when the grandkids come over. then we only get one channel Sponge Bob.
Soon as they leave though everything goes back to normal.

Yeah, my kids went through the Thomas phase... then it was a Daniel Tiger phase... then it was the Wiggles or Bob the Builder or Super Why... now Mickey is the one thing they can agree on, but my daughter also likes Sophia the First and my son likes Little Einsteins..

I wish they would watch more of the stuff like Einstens and Super Why that had more educational content... or better yet just watch less (bad Dad!)...............

Reactions: Swedishchef
I keep trying to get my kid hooked on M*A*S*H, but it hasn't taken yet. He is developing interest in Star Wars, but that's thanks entirely to Angry Birds Star Wars edition. He's 4 years old.

How old do they have to be, before you can start educating them on real movies. You know... Deer Hunter, Raging Bull, The Shining...? ;)

Watch your brands .. RCA isn't RCA any more, neither is Philips/Magnavox.

Warranty terms vary widely by manufacturer, as do service plans/extended contracts. Some will say you have 4 years of coverage, but they are including the manufacturers original warranty period as well.

Yeah, my kids went through the Thomas phase... then it was a Daniel Tiger phase... then it was the Wiggles or Bob the Builder or Super Why... now Mickey is the one thing they can agree on, but my daughter also likes Sophia the First and my son likes Little Einsteins..

I wish they would watch more of the stuff like Einstens and Super Why that had more educational content... or better yet just watch less (bad Dad!)...............
My son used to love Super Why!

Just to close this one out, we ended up buying a Sony KDL-60R520A at Costco. Special thanks to becasunshine for the recommendation, their price was hard to beat. Waaaayyyy less than the same TV (or anything comparable) at my usual venue, Crutchfield. Got it set up just a few hours ago, after a day of skidding logs, bucking, and splitting.

As a side note, in doing some price shopping on the entire Crutchfield catalog, their price was the full manufacturer's price on almost every TV I checked. Example, this particular TV, $1600 directly from Sony, $1600 from Crutchfield, $1300 at Costco. Plus, I was able to go to the store and pick it up, and have a 90 day return to store policy, versus dealing with (and waiting for) shipping.

Will do. We've been streaming Netflix, Youtube, etc., thru our DVD player for a few years now. So, this is nothing new, but more convenient than switching to the DVD player to stream. In fact, there's a Netflix button right on the TV remote, now.

Wow. So much for the "movie rental store" business!! I remember when going to Blockbuster was a fun thing to do on a Friday night!

When are they going to install HD Smart TVs in watches? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.