Two clean out doors in one chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pedersjo

Nov 4, 2020
Cougar WA
Good evening,

I paid a mason come out to install a 6 inch liner min my chimney. He forgot to close the cap and came back out to fix this (while I was at work). What he did was to grind out another clean out door just below where the pipe will be inserted, so he could recap the liner. However, this was done on a different side of the chimney then where the stove pipe will be. I was pretty pissed, figured he's just reinstall the liner. My question is, is it strictly safe, having two doors on the same side? My ideas was to seal the hole with bricks, but not really sure what to do. Would like to start using my stove asap. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

John