two liners in one chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesin

Dec 29, 2011
Pa
Hi, is it ok (legal or national code) to run one 3" stainless steel liner (venting NG water heater) and one 6" liner (wood stove) in a single brick chimney? Obviously they would NOT be connected. I have searched and could not find a definite answer.

Thanks

I would bet that depends on county code however I see that all the time where I live.

Happy New Year
Pete

2 separate liners is ok in one chimney. make sure the wood burner liner is higher than the other one.

If I read correctly, he is running 2 separate liners in one chimney. Last I recall, he can do that.

Thanks for the replies. yes, 2 stainless steel liners in one brick chimney, two separate fuels, 3"natural gas and 6" wood stone and no divider between the two stainless liners.
I am asking for a few reasons. I would like to do this install myself and being some what educated before I go asking our local inspector can go a long way.

Per NFPA 211

7.2.14.4 Multiple flues in one chimney shall not be permitted
for medium-heat appliances, high-heat appliances, or commercial
and industrial incinerators.

I read this as saying NO.

That's correct and especially important because you cannot run two different fuels!!

DAKSY said:
Per NFPA 211

7.2.14.4 Multiple flues in one chimney shall not be permitted
for medium-heat appliances, high-heat appliances, or commercial
and industrial incinerators.

I read this as saying NO.

What about:

7.2.14.5 For chimney liners that have been listed for use as
multiple flues installed in accordance with the terms of the
listing, the provisions of 7.2.14.1 shall not be required.

Thank you all for checking/researching this out for me. How does one find these codes, I googled but must be using the wrong terminology.
for a DIY project it seems to be confusing, so many rules. I am sure the rules are there for good reason even though I don't understand why. I am starting do get discouraged that this project may not happen. The house is what I call "busy" on this side, lots going on.
I think my best approach is start another thread with some picts for ideas.

Again, thank you

The OP's chimney is too small for two liners anyway. He has started another thread on the subject so I am closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.