Two tree id's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
#1 I THINK it's an ash but I haven't come across but one on my property yet so I'm probably wron
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#2 I literally pushed this one over but it's solid. 17% on the meter. Sorry no bark or leaves. I just don't know
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yea that sure looks like a match, thanks. Those leaves looked different in the air. Think I need my eyes checked ha. I guess I'm just gonna give up on finding an ash. I've got about every other variety of wood so I'm in good shape.

Last edited:
I know it splits really good to be in the hickory family. I haven't split all of it but what I have done splits like a champ. Good looking wood and should be good burning when dry

That looks like a Pecan Leaf. ID#1 The other pics of the partially decomposed wood could very well be Ash. Green Ash has a natural range across Mississippi. The wood grain looks like Ash and it is attractive to bugs. If the wood is in your own woodlot I probably wouldnt concern myself with transporting any bugs home to yard trees. I think its a strong possibility you have an Ash.

#1 leaf looks like walnut family (walnut, hickory, pecan). Probably pecan.
That's what I was thinking.
Boot will likely burn dirty with unpleasant odor.
That boot probably doesn't smell too good, even when it's not burning. ;lol
Green Ash has a natural range across Mississippi.
So has White, and several other Ash species; I wouldn't give up yet on finding Ash. Familiarize yourself with the leaflet and leaf appearance, and look around some more when you're out there...

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking.
That boot probably doesn't smell too good, even when it's not burning. ;lol
So has White, and several other Ash species; I wouldn't give up yet on finding Ash. Familiarize yourself with the leaflet and leaf appearance, and look around some more when you're out there...

I've seen one I KNOW is a ash but its huge and very alive. I've cut several down that I thought were only to find out they wasn't. I'm not giving up on them but I'm not setting out to find them anymore. I have way too many other good burning species I can cut.

image.jpg If this is indeed pecan, how does it burn? I assume similar to hickory since its in the family. Should be primo stuff right? It splits great, I'm really surprised.

I haven't burned a lot of but it seemed to be similar to Hickory. Like Hickory, needs to be covered or it will punk.

I haven't burned a lot of but it seemed to be similar to Hickory. Like Hickory, needs to be covered or it will punk.

You'd think as hard as hickory is, it would be the last wood to punk. How long you reckon it would stand up uncovered?

Yeah, you'd think so... It's the sapwood that goes quickest. I've had dead wood, so the sapwood probably goes a bit earlier than it would on fresh wood. I've had some 4' Hickory logs for a year (dead standing) that are starting to punk a little on the sapwood on a couple logs. That stuff will be split and stacked soon, and I don't expect the sapwood to be all that bad. I don't know how long that would take on fresh wood; I'd just cover it asap.

Looks like opposite leafing and scaly bark, I'd say Blue Ash, But given your location I may be way wrong:p

bark1.jpg

Reactions: fireview2788
Status
Not open for further replies.