Tying into existing triple wall flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cutman76

Aug 6, 2018
Greenwood Lake, Ny
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a house with a wood stove. Where the wood stove is located was cathedral. I framed a floor in to add some square footage. My question is, how do I go through the new floor and attach to to existing insulation shield? Thanks for any help!
David

You will need to find out what make and model the chimney is. There should be a label on a pipe somewhere. If not, someone here might be able to identify it.
If it’s still available you need to add on to the chimney. You will need to install a ceiling support box in the new floor system, and add chimney as needed from there up.

You will need to find out what make and model the chimney is. There should be a label on a pipe somewhere. If not, someone here might be able to identify it.
If it’s still available you need to add on to the chimney. You will need to install a ceiling support box in the new floor system, and add chimney as needed from there up.

Can I get a flue piece made the exact length I need, or do I need to replace the flue from the new ceiling box up? Maybe I can move the insulation shield up? It seems like the insulation shield and first length of flue are one piece? Any clarification on that would a big help! Thanks for your help!

No you can’t have a piece of pipe made. If your existing flue manufacturer is still in business then you need to buy the appropriate lengths necessary. You will need to take the pipe loose in order to get the new pipe locked in. Got any pictures?

If the chimney pipe now will pass through a living space it will need to be chased (boxed in). If the underside of the roof is the 2nd floor ceiling then the chase goes up to the roof. There is no insulation guard/firestop needed unless the new 2nd floor space also has a ceiling and attic space above that ceiling. A sketch and/or pictures will help us see what you are working with.

Tying into existing triple wall flue pipe