Type of paint for fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have a Xtrordinair fireplace. Its older, so it has lots of places where the original black finish has worn off, scratched up, etc and i want to make it look like new/newer.

I called the local fireplace supply store and they have a high heat spray paint which they claim is made specifically for fireplaces, but its costs $40.

Question is, can I use any standard high heat spray paint from Home Depot or Lowes, or do I have to use their 'specific paint' 'made' for fireplaces?

One of the paints at lowes goes up to 2000 degrees and the other goes up to 600 degrees. How much heat resistance are we talking here that I need? What do you all use for your fireplaces? Thanks.

Lowes 2000 degree

Lowes 600 degree

I have a Xtrordinair fireplace. Its older, so it has lots of places where the original black finish has worn off, scratched up, etc and i want to make it look like new/newer.

I called the local fireplace supply store and they have a high heat spray paint which they claim is made specifically for fireplaces, but its costs $40.

Question is, can I use any standard high heat spray paint from Home Depot or Lowes, or do I have to use their 'specific paint' 'made' for fireplaces?

One of the paints at lowes goes up to 2000 degrees and the other goes up to 600 degrees. How much heat resistance are we talking here that I need? What do you all use for your fireplaces? Thanks.

Lowes 2000 degree

Lowes 600 degree
Don't use rustoleulm its junk use stove Brite or aw Perkins

Reactions: Ashful

Lowes 2000 degree

Lowes 600 degree
Lopi's (Travis) website says they use StoveBrite paint. The surround is probably Stove Brite satin black. This is sold at big box stores for about $12-14 for a spray can.

Edit:
Looks like inflation has hit this market too. Now selling for $21-$25, though I did find some old stock at Hechlers for $14.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful

Lowes 2000 degree

Lowes 600 degree
After researching myself and writing to Rustoleum about the ceramic 2000F high heat paint? Nothing is used for the inside of the stove, only outside.