• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stevesaunders87

Jan 22, 2023
Payson
I am building a propane tank wood stove. I have opened up the propane tank and filled it up with water twice. I’ve got it ready to be welded up. I plan to add legs, a door, a breather, and the pipe adapter for the chimney. I am curious as to what weld is best for this type of project.. flux, copper, or aluminum? This is the type of welder I have access to is the wire feed welder. So help me out if you would let me know what type of weld is best for this type of project with the welder I have access to.. thank you

YouTube is your friend.

So you're welding steel to steel with a wirefeed welder and you don't know what kind of wire to use?
Yeah maybe a device meant to contain fire isn't the best place to learn about welding

I'd do a root pass with copper and then spray weld aluminum over it.
And then we need video footage too...

• Haha
Reactions: Tonty
Wow, I'm still new here but how often does this type of thing get posted?

that tank is steel and not all that thick. not a particular fan of the flux cored wire. So a mig, solid core wire and argon gas. get a better weld if you pre heat the tank some. could be done in one pass depends on your skill level.