Types of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FISHBONZ

Sep 9, 2008
Kirkwood, MO
What are your thoughts on different types of wood? I have a reputable tree service which sells year-old cords of wood for $200. They said it contains Oak, Ash, Hickory and Cherry.

Sorry if this is a duplicate of others but I could not find this information on another thread.

Your list contains some excellent burning wood. It simply depends on if $200 is the going rate in your area. Call around and get a feel for whats normal in your area.

So what do you want to know? I guess I am confused. All the wood species you listed are really good firewood trees. Are you wanting to know if that is a good deal? If that is what you are asking then it all depends on the area of the country you are in. Out east that would be a pretty good deal, here in michigan that is kinda high for any kind of wood. What are cords going for in your area. This seems like a good mix of wood so if the going rate is 200 then I would get it. Dont get much better wood wise than that mix. Hope I helped.

Thanks. Wanted to know if that mix was good and my question got answered. By the way, guys are asking about $85 for a face cord in this area. I think $200 is a great deal if they truely mean a full cord.

FISHBONZ said:
I have a reputable tree service which sells year-old cords of wood

Just be careful, I'd be present when they deliver and make sure the proof is in the pudding. Year old cords lying around in log form that were split a month ago are gonna be wet....especially Oak. If they are talking wood that was split a year ago...then you are all set. Ask, see what they say.

Ash is good either way, in a pinch this late in the season, I'd take a load of Ash vs wet oak anyday.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.