Typical stove sizing request - Mansfield vs. Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Builder Bob

Feb 27, 2007
Joelton, TN
Greetings to all, I am requesting some feedback to sizing a Hearthstone wood stove in a new house. For a brief overview, the walls are 2 x 4 w/ blown celulose and the roof is spray foam insulation. The total sq. ft. is nearly 2,400 in a very open ranch style house. The question is to install a Mansfield or a Heritage? I have had two different stove shops give those two answers. My gut says go larger and if needed build smaller fires more often during the shoulder seasons vs the smaller Heritage and having to run it harder to keep up during colder times. (the wife likes it warm in the house) While I have probably just answered my question I guess I was looking for additional opinions. Thanks in advance.

Well if that was my house where I live, I'd go with the Mansfield. But down in TN you could probably get away with the Heritage but there may well be times you could use the larger Mansfield. I think it's easier to go larger with soapstone verses steel/iron due to the more even softer heat.

I had looked at both but in the previous house I had a Avalon Ranier that was a bit undersized and when the temps overnight got into the teens, it had to run hard to keep up. Overnight burns at those temps were hard to get even with oak and not have the gas heat turn on around 3:00 am.

Go bigger, you can open a window if needed. Make sure you have a blower and ceiling fans and you will enjoy.

I would vote for the Mansfield. The Heritage does a good job in our fairly open floor plan of a similar size house as yours. But I find overnight and gone all day burns just aren't as long as I would like because of the firebox size. I went with the Heritage because of clearance considerations and I am happy with it, but the Mansfield would be sitting there right now if I had the room.

Has anyone heard about the Mansfield being discontinued? One of the stove shops said that they were not moving so well and Hearthstone was going to discontinue them. I thought that odd since the stove sizes go from 2.2-2.3 cu. ft. up to 3.2 (Mansfield) and up to 4.0 cu. ft. with the Equinox. I would doubt that they would have that large a jump in size and not have some thing 3.0 +/- cu. ft.

My house total sq ft would be around 2600 sq ranch home with basement so I am counting the basement footage as well as main floor. We heat winter long in sub zero temps and the Mansfield was the right choice for us. Like others said you can never to to big when it comes to these things. The Mansfield does well with small fires as well. I found you can control it with just putting larger rounds in it to keep it burning a little cooler if you are to worried about it running you out of the house. Also you can always crack a window if it gets to hot.

I have no local dealer so I am unaware about a discontinue. Sounds kind of like a buy it now scare tactic to me.

Struggle,
I thought the same thing about the "buy it now scare tactic" especially since it was at a local home show. That was the first I had heard of it and it sounded kind of fishy to me.

That tactic would prevent me from buying it now. The last thing I want is a stove that has been discontinued. Dwindling parts and tech support for that "old and obsolete" model.

I use a heritage but would love a larger firebox in my 1700 SF. The trouble is that the mansfield is, er, uh, ugly in my opinion and doesn't have a side door for loading. The equinox is mighty pretty. All of the hearthstones have recently jumped way up in price to the point that the other soapstones are also very appealing.

I would not be scared off from the stove but have found some people in sales use a used car salesman tactic and it just never flies with me.

You also have to remember that you will most likely be more knowledgeable from this site about any stove you are considering than the salesman will ever know. Hats off to Craig for that one. You are going in with an ACE in the hole to start with.

My take on the Mansfield compared to the VC Vigilant that I used to have is it is so advanced and has performed light years ahead of the Vigilant. I have no regrets at this time with my purchase. My house a slightly less than optimal for the way we heat but I am unable to change that yet the stove just performs outstanding.

Those are the only two big players that I know of. Honestly, I could be swayed into an Alderlea from PE which is not soapstone but reportedly behaves similarly. The problem with the large woodstocks is the very large required clearances to combustibles. Hearthstones, and PEs, have very small clearance requirements and in a small home this issue matters. With today's prices I would have built my hearth differently and gone with the big Woodstock. Both soapstone brands are excellent though.

If you're on the edge, I'd lean towards the larger stove than one that is possibly undersized. My Mansfield keeps my 3,000 sq. ft. home warm and comfortable in our temperate climate that ranges mid-20's to 50's during the winter. If I need less heat I just run smaller fires and/or lower damper and (rarely) open a window. If the stove is too small you'll have to run it harder and require more frequent reloads.

I'm not sure that these guys are big players . . . I have not heard mention of anyone here with a stove from this company, Tulikivi, but my cousin has a small stove from them, I guessing he's got a 2.5 cubic ft firebox. Very attractive stove. Much more expensive I think as well.

http://www.tulikivi.com/www/TLTuoteU.nsf/MallistoEN!OpenForm&id=Takkauunit_pp&id2=TA0

Status
Not open for further replies.