Unbelievable Ad I Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
I was traveling across ﹰNﹰY's northern-most tier last week and came across this poster.

I am happy to pay 250 a cord here in nh and that's a good deal.
20190723_143119.jpg

Might mean face cord.
That's the way they word it but when you ask them if the price is for a cord of wood they'll tell you no, a face cord.

Still a decent price at $190/full cord.

Out here in Oregon firewood can only be advertised/sold in cords or fractions thereof. Makes it a lot more clear than this "face cord" nonsense....

upload_2019-7-29_11-54-47.png

It offers a way to lie cheat and steal yet stay under the radar. I've bought wood only once. After dumping the load of splits, I asked the guy, so how much do you think is here. Wrong question. After chasing around the tree 25 times I said oh quit it, this isn't the first time the questions been asked - crickets - then about 4ft x 21-24ft stacked. It was 23ft. So he did ok. He knew how to fill his dump truck.

Horse trading, in its literal sense, refers to the buying and selling of horses, also called "horse dealing.” Due to the difficulties in evaluating the merits of a horse offered for sale, the sale of horses offered great opportunities for dishonesty, leading to use of the term horse trading (or horsetrading) to refer to complex bargaining or other transactions, such as political vote trading. It was expected that horse sellers would capitalize on these opportunities and so those who dealt in horses gained a reputation for underhanded business practices.

1 cord = 128 cubic feet I don’t care how it’s stacked. I always considered a face cord 1/3 of a cord. Here’s some info from https://forestry.usu.edu/forest-products/wood-heating I find the face cord description interesting.

Firewood Volume

Though firewood dry weight is important for determining heat content, firewood is normally bought and sold by volume. The most common unit of firewood volume is the cord, also known as a standard or full cord. A cord is an evenly-stacked pile containing 128 cubic feet of wood and air space. Though a cord can be piled in any shape, a standard cord is generally thought of as a stack of wood 4 feet tall, 8 feet long, and 4 feet deep (Figure 1). To figure the number of cords in another size or shape pile, determine the pile's cubic foot volume and divide by 128. A randomly-piled stack of wood will generally contain more air and less wood than one neatly piled.

Some dealers sell wood by the face cord or short cord (Figure 2). A face cord is a stack of wood 4 feet high, 8 feet long, and as deep as the pieces are long. Pieces are commonly 12 to 18 inches long, so a face cord may contain 32 to 48 cubic feet of wood and air.

Another common firewood measure is the pickup load (Figure 3). This is a very imprecise but common measure. A full-size pickup with a standard bed can hold about 1/2 of a full cord or 64 cubic feet when loaded even with the top of the bed. Small pickups hold much less. Random loading will decrease this amount further.

A randomly-piled stack or pickup load of wood will contain more air and less wood than one neatly stacked. Crooked, small diameter, and knotty or branchy pieces also reduce the amount of wood in a pile.

firewood-standard-cord.gif

Figure 1. Standard Cord

Total Volume = 128 cubic feet

firewood-face-cord.gif

Figure 2. Face Cord

Total Volume = 32 to 48 cubic feet (depending on piece length)

firewood-pickup-load.gif

Figure 3. Pickup Load

Approximate Total Volume = 64 cu. ft.

Buying Firewood

Species, volume, dryness, and need for splitting should be considered when buying firewood. The information here and in other publications should give you the basic information you will need to be an informed buyer. However, knowing your dealer is the best way to ensure that you are getting what you are paying for.

Reactions: johneh
Since I cut my own wood, I’ve started using units of area on the face of the stack instead of cords. I know that my garage holds 270 ft of ‘face’ wood that is 20” long. This comes out right around 3.5 true cords, which is quite conveniently what I burn per year. I’ve also developed my own unit of measurement: a Brian-Cord; 80 sq ft cut to 20 inches. This is what happens when I idly occupy my mind during a day of splitting.

Sq ft measurement is really convenient for me when figuring out what I need to CSS each year. Measure the area of the faces of my stacks til I hit the magic number then go swimming.

As for buying wood... I bought a seasoned cord once for $70 delivered. Seasoned? Hahaha! I knew better than to expect dry wood, so no biggie there. As for the cord, I expected a face cord (32 sq ft) and got about 25 ft^2. It was for a fireplace/ambiance and it burned okayish, so I sucked it up and dealt with it but vowed never to call them again.

Though firewood dry weight is important for determining heat content, firewood is normally bought and sold by volume.
And there lies the rub. Some materials on the market come with material certs - someone has certified authenticity. Until then:

However, knowing your dealer is the best way to ensure that you are getting what you are paying for.

Reactions: JimBear
The pulp mill I worked for and every other one I knew paid based on weight for pulp wood. We got the low grade wood that was crooked so its did not pack well in a pulp truck so buying by volume didnt work. The mill used to have an employee that worked the scales and kept an eye out for people playing games. On occasion truckers would stop by a brook and soak the load down with water before the load was scaled. They would be talked to and if it continued they would lose their scale card and would not be allowed to sell wood. The buyers had to be careful as production was king and during mud season or times of high pulp prices wood was hard to get and then the buyers would be begging for wood. As the mill was struggling in its final years they laid off the scale operators and no one kept track of the loggers and they got away games even more.

For raw firewood I don't see a good way of standardizing wood sales, the face cord is definitely shady but selling by weight is moisture content variable. I guess if you want standardized firewood,switch to pellets.

When we drop off feed grains like corn and beans at the elevator, they do an on the spot check for moisture, weight, damage, etc. Low moisture is the farmers problem. High moisture means a dock in price and drying fees that come out of the current market price. Weight, then calculated to bushels is what they're after. If firewood was shipped and traded, then I bet things would be different. I thought the EU had something, but all I see are proposals and guidlines there too.

Understand that anyone in NY who says "cord" actually most likely means face cord. WHY?...I do not know. I know it can be regional but from what I gather from this board and another board, NY seems to be the biggest culprit for the face cord/cord confusion and nonsense. Any dealer I look up on our local Craigslist sells by face cord, and sometimes will just call it a cord.

Here in Canada's Nation Capital Ottawa if they say cord they mean 1/3 of a cord (face cord)
When I sold wood years ago I sold it by the cord (128 cu. ft.) and was told many times that my
wood was to expensive until they found out they would get 3 times the wood . I still only
sell in 4 x 4 x 8 lots and my wood is dried at least 2 years . My customers are all repeat
and order there wood in the spring because I only sell a limited amount now . At 70 I
have really slowed down . Dam I hate getting old

Back when I was working a summer job and there was wood shortage there was an old timer that advertised 1/2 cords. According to his math a half cord was 2x2x4, he didn't get much repeat business ;)

Reactions: johneh
Understand that anyone in NY who says "cord" actually most likely means face cord. WHY?...I do not know.
Yup and if your in the country side a million miles away from anything and ask for directions everything is only 5 mins up the road.

Reactions: Woody5506
1 cord = 128 cubic feet I don’t care how it’s stacked. ...

And that is the problem. Only a 4x4x8 foot stack of wood is, by definition, "a cord". No other size, stacking or layout, even if it totals 128 cubic feet is "a cord" of wood. It's like calling a pile of logs "a log cabin". You would say 'no way', and I say 'sure there are enough logs for all the floors, walls, roof beams, etc. But suddenly, the way they are stacked makes a huge difference! Same with a cord - its all in the stacking!

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I don't and never will get this face cord crapola.
A cord is 4X4X8 FEET or 128cuft.

Agreed. Never heard of such a thing as a face cord until I landed here several years back. As you said, a cord up here has always been the standard 4 x 4 x 8 feet stack OR 128 cubic feet of wood stacked in some other configuration.

Even now I tend to stack my outside "seasoning" wood in 4 x 4 x 8 stacks (well it's more like 3 1/2 x 5 x 8 stacks when you figure in the actual length of the wood -- I stack it higher though so I know it's a cord +.)

Reactions: SpaceBus