Undecided

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firecattr1

Feb 7, 2014
WVa
New to the forum , I need some help . I haven't burnt wood very long ,using an ol vesta wood coal burner .i live in a 1400 sf mobile home 1970 model "cold and drafty " the old stove is eating wood all night long . Looking at a Drolet astral 2100 1200 $ or a country hearth 2500 800 $ . Are they both to big ? Is one a better stove ? Should I go smaller ?

I have the CH 2000 model(Paid $499) and i was pleasantly surprised at how much i like it. I will say that a size bigger may do a much better overnight burn. Its very controllable and has nice secondaries that come on fast from a cold stove. I have the 2000 in a 600SF apmt so its about the right size for that application.

Thank you for the info . It's really hard to pick the right stove ! I've been reading on here and the temps from these new stoves are kind Of scary 600-800 degrees really ! That would burn the trailer down it would seem .

Think that is scary, try 1000F in a small tent.

hot russian stove.jpg

You will be fine @600F with a properly installed new stove.

Reactions: Osage
That is scary ...time to vacate ! Really how does square footage and and stove size work ? I've read 1400 sf needs a stove that is rated for 1600 or 1800 ...is that true ?

Stove sizing depends on a lot of factors. Climate, insulation, house sealing, wood burned, etc. all affect how well a stove is going to heat. The conventional wisdom is to go one size larger. For your area I would be looking at 2.0 to 2.5 cu ft stoves.The Drolet Astral is larger, but could work if the place is leaky and you are willing to build smaller fires and let them go out when the temps are milder. Or if the place is exceptionally leaky maybe it will work out fine.

Wow i just bought a Austral from menards on monday for my house for $682. $1200 seems very high.

I have a mobile home im looking to upgrade the stove in. I been seriously thinking about this one.
http://www.century-heating.com/en/products/wood/wood-stove-on-pedestal-model-fw2470
Course i don't live in it year round, its just vacation property. Might be to small for you. I worry that anything bigger might be too big.
Living room will be 100 degrees and the back bedroom will be 60. Getting air circulation will be crucial. I have to point a fan from the living room down the hall so the bedroom gets heat, doesnt work very well. Anything that will give you overnight burns will probably cook you out of the place. First place i'd start is insulation and stopping the drafts.
I don't know, tough call. Im curious to see what others say.

Kindred, try putting the fan by the bedroom and blow the cold air towards the stove room, works better that way

Trailers are usually poorly insulated. Definitely a size bigger on the stove,but watch those clearances.

I have 36" clearances .should be good enough , I hope ! Been checking out more stoves today . Maybe I should go Down to a 1800 sf model .

Problem with the small stoves is overnight burns. Even if its still going by morning it putting out painfully little heat.

Thank you all for the advise I've settled on the drolet austral for 1200$ but the wife is stuck on country hearth 2500 for 800$ To save money . I guess she wins because if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy , hope it don't come back to bite me !

Thank you all for the advise I've settled on the drolet austral for 1200$ but the wife is stuck on country hearth 2500 for 800$ To save money . I guess she wins because if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy , hope it don't come back to bite me !
Thats a good price. Some places want $1500 for that same stove.
The CH is a nice looking stove as well as a good performer . THe 2500 is one firebrick deeper(or about 5") than my stove. better for those overnight burns. The 3000 Model is yet another firebrick deeper ,about another 5".

I see they dont offer the 2000 Model with the arched loading door anymore just the 2500 and 3000 model. That would be a deal breaker for me if i were buying one now as thats one of the stoves best features and makes it stand out as not just another plain jane square box wood stove with a square door. My 2000 has the arched door
126939-02bb7510544fae139720f2840b141d00.jpg

126940-39cd596f1d17ad1f980fe7ee38f8b759.jpg

Attachments

• 5sv-2500-xlg.jpg
    5sv-2500-xlg.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 2000 angle left-250x250.jpg
    2000 angle left-250x250.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 116
but in a long narrow hallway is that really gonna work??

I just did this down a long hallway at begreen's recommendation. It brought the room up 5 degrees and it's now the same temp as the first floor aside from the stove room.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just seems counter intutive, i feel like i'd be pushing cold air down the hallway blocking warm air from coming down the hallway and pulling more cold air in thru the many cracks and holes at the cold end. BUT im willing to give it a try next fall when im up there hunting, cant hurt to give it a whirl. Sure would be nice if it did the trick.

pushing cold air down low toward the stove room will create a vacuum in the hallway that will be filled with warm air coming up high through the hallway. You can measure this with a thermometer. There will be a significant difference in the high and low temps in the hallway.

Just seems counter intutive, i feel like i'd be pushing cold air down the hallway blocking warm air from coming down the hallway and pulling more cold air in thru the many cracks and holes at the cold end. BUT im willing to give it a try next fall when im up there hunting, cant hurt to give it a whirl. Sure would be nice if it did the trick.
The warm air will hug the ceiling while the cold air will flow in the opposite direction along the floor . I feel it every sunny day in my sunroom. WHen i stand in the doorway i can feel warm air flowing into the house on my face and cool air flowing back out into the sunroom around my feet,no fan necessary.

Just seems counter intutive, i feel like i'd be pushing cold air down the hallway blocking warm air from coming down the hallway and pulling more cold air in thru the many cracks and holes at the cold end.
It works well because the cold air is a bit more dense; If you get it moving, the lighter warm air will readily flow in above to replace it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.