Unexpected Black Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Stoked up the bed of coals this morning and threw on a log of pine, black birch, maple and red oak (mixed it up a little), let that get totally engulfed in flames, dialed the air down and went upstairs. I’ve been doing this or similar every morning since early November, never got black glass. When the flames were building up over the first 15 minutes I didn’t hear any sizzlers in there, and the wood has been cut/split/stacked for 1-2 years. Anyway, I’m upstairs cleaning the kitchen with Fantastic, and I can suddenly smell the wood stove in the basement over the Fantastic smell. So I’m thinking “that’s a strong smell to overpower the cleaning products”. So, I go downstairs and the glass is almost totally black. Very strange. So, I assume something is up with the draft. I went up on the roof and gave the chimney a good sweep. At the clean out nothing but a pile of powdery black stuff. Strange, not sure what’s up. I’ve since cleaned the glass and will see what happens with a new fire tonight. I’ve got 35 feet of chimney, it’s 38 degrees out, burning an Englander 30NC.

My draft sucks when it’s warm out

That’s gotta be it. There are not obstructions in the chimney because I put a white piece of a grain bag at the bottom before I swept the chimney, so I know all the black stuff was able to fall down there no problem. It’s just weird I haven’t had that happen before.

Yeah I love the way my stove runs when it’s super cold; basically foolproof. The warmer weather requires a few adjustments and for me that means running with the air more open and burning smaller wood.

Yeah, I’m going to have to just keep it more wide open. Like I said, it’s not happened before and it freaked me out a little. Climbing up on the roof and looking at the chimney reminded me that I have work to do on the chimney crown too LOL.

My draft has been weaker in the last few days. It helps to leave the damper setting a little higher than usual

I will do that thanks for the replies.

38F is not exactly warm weather. With a 35ft chimney it should draft like a hoover unless the stove is in a negative pressure zone.

Is this a basement install? Was there an exhaust fan running while cleaning with the Fantastic?

It is a basement install, but I wasn’t running an exhaust fan. Fire burned last night pretty well.

I was having the same problem yesterday when I saw this thread. 30NC stove, ~50ish outside, dry wood, but glass was getting dirty (it usually doesn’t). I think you all are right- draft was diminished.

It is a basement install, but I wasn’t running an exhaust fan. Fire burned last night pretty well.
My guess is that something caused the pressure in the basement to go negative. It doesn't take much in some cases. Was there a window opened upstairs? Dryer running?

Maybe some atmospheric pressure change? I had the same problem on the same day in mid-Missouri- but at a higher outside temp... (50)
BTW my install is in an earth contact. Stove is in the ground level but I have an upstairs build-on.

If this happens again, try opening a nearby window or door a little to see if that improves the situation. Also, changing the stove pipe configuration can help if it currently comes up to a 90º going to the thimble.

Either some moist wood he snuck into your stack or you have a draft problem.....

I'm with bgreen. I'm changing my configuration from one 90 to two 45. One at the stove collar and the other at the chimney. This will change about 18" of horizontal to about 12" - 14" of 45. Hope this help me. Thinking should same for ya. I'm having near same problem. Kevin

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did run the dryer while this happened, that may be it. And I will open the small window in the basement a crack too.

Does the stove pipe come up to a 90 elbow and then out to the thimble? If so, this is an area that can be improved by switching to 45s.
two 45s for flue connect.jpg

Hmm, that's a good thought between. It comes up and goes into 1 90 degree out to the thimble. I will look into converting to 45s after this season is over.