Uni tsi boilers opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hyfire

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2013
Ont, Canada
Hi since i an unable to purchase an effecta smart boiler, I am looking into these tsi boilers, but looking for more info. Even though they show in Canada , they ship from USA. Looks about $700 usd shipping. Want to be sure I am not making a poor decision.

Last edited:
Hi since i an unable to purchase an effecta smart boiler, I am looking into these tsi boilers, but looking for more info. Even though they show in Canada , they ship from USA. Looks about $700 usd shipping.
Lots of speculation about the tsi uni boilers here but very few actual users. I paid about $300-350 to get my 1200 lb Attack boiler from out east to southern MN- just a reference point on shipping. I don't know if one can purchase an Attack, EKO or Biomass boiler anymore from newhorizonstore.com but these are all true european built downdraft gasifiers and there is plenty of info here about them and users. I would take a chance on anyone of these (and have) before I would be the guinea pig with a tsi uni boiler. The EKO and some other brands have been imported directly from kotly.com as well. If you were looking at an Effecta, have you looked at Varm from smokelessheat.com? Quite sure these are still available in north america.

Do a forum search on tsi. I would pass.

Mine came from smokeless heat in 2012 - check out their website to see what they're showing now. Crossing the border it's not just freight. Currency exchange, duty and brokerage fees are kickers.

Lots of speculation about the tsi uni boilers here but very few actual users. I paid about $300-350 to get my 1200 lb Attack boiler from out east to southern MN- just a reference point on shipping. I don't know if one can purchase an Attack, EKO or Biomass boiler anymore from newhorizonstore.com but these are all true european built downdraft gasifiers and there is plenty of info here about them and users. I would take a chance on anyone of these (and have) before I would be the guinea pig with a tsi uni boiler. The EKO and some other brands have been imported directly from kotly.com as well. If you were looking at an Effecta, have you looked at Varm from smokelessheat.com? Quite sure these are still available in north america.
That is a great site newhorizonstore looking around. I tried smokeless heat and they dont have any smaller varms in stock. tht biomass next gen looks pretty good 25 kw the attack is very large.

Last edited:
That is a great site newhorizonstore looking around. I tried smokeless heat and they dont have any smaller varms in stock. tht biomass next gen looks pretty good 25 kw the attack is very large.
If the attack dpxl is still available and fits your budget that would be a great choice.

If the attack dpxl is still available and fits your budget that would be a great choice.
I agree. Lambda air control, draft inducer pulls air thru the firebox so less smoke spillage on reloads. Only other boilers available with the lambda control are twice the money. The Varms are easier to clean the exchanger tubes but I've only found the need to brush the tubes about once a season on my Attack. The cleaning need will increase if you don't have storage which will force the boiler to idle in low demand situations.

I looked at the data on it and I still think the next gen biomass unit is another one im looking at.It can burn anything you want in it with up to 30% moisture but i dont think its lamba controlled.

I would be very concerned about someone selling a boiler that can burn anything in it up to 30% moisture.
It sounds like a recipe for poor performance in any gasifying attempt.
Can anyone say Creosote without feeling bad about it?

I looked at the data on it and I still think the next gen biomass unit is another one im looking at.It can burn anything you want in it with up to 30% moisture but i dont think its lamba controlled.

There is no doubt that my Attack will burn some 30% moisture content wood once a good coal bed has been established. However this is only because I burn to charge storage and the boiler does not go into idle mode. I also suspect I would be wondering why the boiler is burning a lot more wood to get storage up to temp. Bottom line is I don't do that and I don't have to deal with gunked up exchanger tubes in the boiler.

Ok, here an update, it looks like the few people i have contacted are very happy with the uni tsi units so far. Been doing a ton of research and everying else will cost about 10k this would be about 5k complete a big difference! I think it may not be the best in efficiency but seems like good value.? If i go with the smaller version I wont need 400 gal of storage min either. I have enough fan coil load to support 150k , I dont see that it will be going to idle mode much..

The only way it wont be going into idle much, is if your house will be using all the boiler puts out. Which could mean you have a high heat demand, or poor boiler output. Do you know your heat load?

I would still pass on it. But not my decision.

Ok, here an update, it looks like the few people i have contacted are very happy with the uni tsi units so far. Been doing a ton of research and everying else will cost about 10k this would be about 5k complete a big difference! I think it may not be the best in efficiency but seems like good value.? If i go with the smaller version I wont need 400 gal of storage min either. I have enough fan coil load to support 150k , I dont see that it will be going to idle mode much..
Going without storage is bad.
there are so many good reasons for storage.
And so many bad reasons to go without.
All of them are documented on the pages of Hearth.
Spend some more time reading before you buy or build.
That was the best thing i ever did.If i hadn't found this site i would have bought a piece of crap water heater,installed crappy underground lines,and had a crappy system that would have made life miserable trying to heat my house in the Yukon.
I have a trouble free system that i don't worry about when the temps hit -40 or if i go away.
True i spent a lot of money on my system,money well spent because i found Hearth got great advice.
A saying comes to mind
There is never enough time or money to do it once right...
But there is always enough time or money to do it right the second time...

Reactions: sloeffle
I can understand why the TSI/MBtek units look good right now. It's an economic downturn, so budgets are getting tighter. If I were in your shoes I would go for the budget boiler and spend the savings on your storage, chimney, and plumbing. For me if the TSI unit is smokeless/low emissions I could deal with a lower efficiency. Hopefully by the time the boiler needs replacement/upgraded the economy is doing a little better. With proper storage you could size the unit to only load it once a day and then you can put it in an outbuilding with less inconvenience.

Reactions: andym
I am doubtful one load a day would do it with one of these. But I could be wrong.
I've seen threads where folks use older boilers without any kind of secondary burn get 24 hrs with the right size appliance and storage. Home insulation is certainly a big factor as well. Maybe 24 hrs is a bit ambitious, but long periods between reloads should be possible with the size burner and storage.

Going without storage is bad.
there are so many good reasons for storage.
And so many bad reasons to go without.
All of them are documented on the pages of Hearth.
Spend some more time reading before you buy or build.
That was the best thing i ever did.If i hadn't found this site i would have bought a piece of crap water heater,installed crappy underground lines,and had a crappy system that would have made life miserable trying to heat my house in the Yukon.
I have a trouble free system that i don't worry about when the temps hit -40 or if i go away.
True i spent a lot of money on my system,money well spent because i found Hearth got great advice.
A saying comes to mind
There is never enough time or money to do it once right...
But there is always enough time or money to do it right the second time...
You make mention of finding this site.

If one comes on here with an open mind to learn and not have some false pretenses on how to build a good system this is the place.

I've seen threads where folks use older boilers without any kind of secondary burn get 24 hrs with the right size appliance and storage. Home insulation is certainly a big factor as well. Maybe 24 hrs is a bit ambitious, but long periods between reloads should be possible with the size burner and storage.

I dont think they do it on one load of wood though.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks everyone I will look into more storage and keep looking around for boilers, so many to choose on the internet. I think it would only burn 3-4 hours max the firebox is not that big. I have not done anyload calculations, but I had a pellet stove in the shop and it was 53000 btu and I would be going through 2 bags a day at -15C approx adding the house with it wont keep up for sure. This wont be my primary heat source anyway, I will just use it occasionally when I need to work in the shop.

You make mention of finding this site.

If one comes on here with an open mind to learn and not have some false pretenses on how to build a good system this is the place.
Yes it is !
Plus there is so much information to be had by asking the pro's on here,who are always ready to lend a hand.
I have had to do nothing to my system in the last 10 years.
I would like to have a new control system,which i will get to once i have time.
Have you looked at the Econoburn boilers? I can't remember if you had ruled them out.

Not getting any response to emails,frm mbtek is this a bad sign?
If they can't send you an email to sell you a product, then imagine when they'll get back to you when there is a problem. If I was spending that much money on something I'd want to make sure there is a phone number I can call to provide sales and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
I dont think they do it on one load of wood though.
Bingo!
Personally, if I were going to install a wood fired boiler without storage, there is 0.000000000000000000000% percent chance that I would get one without lambda control.
With lambda, I might consider going without storage...maybe...