Unidentified pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steve2104

Nov 28, 2017
Beaworthy
Hi, can anyone tell me what this pipe could be? It's about 1 1/2" in diameter and comes out of the floor of the hearth. There seems to be something living down there as scratching can be heard in the evening. No idea where it comes from or goes to. Thanks In advance for any help. Steve
5aba8151766ac6a24efdbf31b742d497.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see anything from below or outside? might be a sleeve for a gas line????

Is it an external vent for a fire? Some wood stoves have external vent kits. The fire burns better with cool air and it prevents hot air being drawn from the room.

Last edited:
Is it an external vent for a fire? Some wood stoves have external vent kits. The fire burns better with cool air and it prevents hot air being drawn from the room.

I hadn't thought of that. I think you're right. I have found the other end exiting the outside wall at low level. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk