Uninterrupted Power Source Eaton 5S1500LCD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MalcolmH

Burning Hunk
Jan 22, 2017
Ontario
Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Eaton 5S1500LCD (900W) UPS for my Flame FP-45(Drolet Eco-45) Pellet stove, I live in the North country and power blips and outages are common during bad weather, I've never had a smoke problem during an outage as I have 4" pipe vertical right out the back of the stove at the clean out, and it is on the interior wall extending through the ceiling to the roof and I have the Outside air intake, this is in my shop.
The issue is when I get a power blip the stove goes into shut down mode and then into startup mode after cooling down(wasting pellets), so my question is will this Eaton 5s1500lcd UPS protect from those power blips and keep the pellet stove running for a short period of time (1/2hr) so I can shut down properly during an outage and avoid shut down and start up conditions during power blips.. I don't see Sin Wave in the specs so I am concerned the stove will still see a switch over to the UPS and shut down, anyone using the Eaton 5Sxxxlcd series, or know of its capabilities, the 900w is the larger of the series with 2 batteries.

Let me know if you have any experience with UPS.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Most UPS that are set up for PC/Server back up power are true sine wave. I would say it would allow you to shut down as normal as long as you are in the area when it goes out. if the power is not off long the UPS will keep it running till it comes back on. you would have to run a test on it to see how long it actually wroks.

I keep Inverter/Charger (Pure Sine Wave) hooked to my stove. Good for 6 hours (100ah Battery - Harmon XXV). If it's pure sine wave it should run the stove. How long depends on how big the battery is. Chart says 10 min. Personally I would have got real inverter that says PURE SINE Wave. This unit does not look like it takes external battery.
http://eg.eaton.com/ups-battery-run...5.1038863770.1550344502-1478141711.1550344502

Can you get your $$$$ back? I don't think what you bought will do much for you. What happens at 2am? Stove shuts down is what happens. Me I wanted mine to run during power outages. We had one in Nov for 4 hours. I plan on another 100ah battery next season.

It is 3 year old NOS UPS, so I suspect the batteries might be tired from sitting, so no returns, but easily replaced. Interesting setup but I hate to say it, not very tidy. The Eaton uses x2 NP9-12 batteries (12 Volts 9 Amp), the 5s1500lcd is rated for 900W, and has battery tending/exercising, and a LCD display that looks decent and compact, I don't like wires all over to trip on in the shop.
I'm sure most pellet stoves run about 300-400W (maybe more to start which is a non issue here). I'm not worried about it shutting down after 20min or at 2am for long outages, as all battery powered UPS or Inverters will eventually do, it is the power blips and flickers that annoy me, putting the stove into shut down mode and then performing a restart on its own wasting pellets and making clinkers, but from what I read a UPS rated at 900W will work, I was just curious if anybody is running a UPS like this, I don't expect it to run longer than 20min but suspect it may run for 1/2hr or more depending on the stove setting and battery condition, mine is usually on idle and I modified the OAK and draft control to produce more heat on idle by dealing airflow down more. I also have a small quiet Genny that could be quickly started and plugged into the UPS if need be to keep everything from going into shut down mode if I needed it to keep running.

Reactions: Dataman
Hi fellow Cunuk... I have the same issues with HydrOne... I bought a used UPS (a bit bigger but yours will be fine)...in my case the internal batteries were toast so instead of replacing them I got a couple of small(ish) deep cycle batteries 80 amp/hrs each and wired them in series (my UPS runs on 24v, the original batteries were 12v SLA 18 amp/hrs each)... anywho..my UPS like most filters the crappy power thats over 120v down to 120 and boosts any crappy voltage that lower than 120v up to 120 and...acts as a surge protector...and puts out pure sine wave... when running during a power failure... as luck would have it we've had a few lumps and bumps and a power failure that lasted 3 hours without any issues... my setup lasts over 12 hrs on battery....I have a KILL-A-WATT (actually a fleabay copy) that shows my stove pulls 120 watts on low constant... 350 watts when starting but that only lasts for 10 minutes then back to 120 watts... There is another thread here somewhere in which I posted a picture of my setup,

If you go with the orig batteries you'll be fine for the lumps and bumps and probably 30-60 minutes of run time..

Wow that would be nice to have 12hours run time off grid with no gas, I know I have thought it would be nice to just add more batteries but larger Capacity batteries would be better idea if you have a spot to hide them and wanted to run off grid.
I'll give the Eaton UPS a try as it was from factory and let everyone know, I pick it up tomorrow for 1/3 of the original price, replacement OE batteries are common and affordable.
I just wanted to make sure this is going to get my Pellet stove over those blips and flickers, and would also like to make the computer board last as long as possible, this stove has been a real gem in a shop, really appreciate everyones input!.

Reactions: kenora
Most pellet stoves consume about 80W to 150W when they are running, which is the power to run the room blower and combustion blower motors (and intermittently the auger motor).

Well the Eaton UPS 5S1500LCD does not work on my Flame FP-45 as the stove flags it as "polarity reversed" I tried reversing it and get the same code, it shows my stove at 300w on start up and 115w-160w while running and does still run when the power goes out but everything runs noticeably slower like it is in limp mode which is never good for electronics, so I am using it on my TV system and wood stove blower now... Looked into Dataman's setup, but that inverter costs 600+ CAD which is what I bought the stove for, I'll maybe look into RV inverters or talk to SBI and see what they suggest.

Shame it did not work. But it has to be Pure Sine Wave. They are not cheap is problem. I did not want to spend the 6k my stove setup costs. But necessary evil. Sure did not want to keep using wood. Got real tired of Wife Bitching about it. Worth the 6k.

There are cheaper Pure Sine Wave. Personally I would not buy used unless you know it's good. Same with battery. Got to replace the batteries on my PU Truck. That's going to hurt too (2 of them 100ah batteries). Hopefully I can get couple of years out of used 5 year old batteries in my PU truck.