Unknown Heatilator???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

homewrencher

Oct 5, 2021
North Carolina
Greetings from Western NC. Just bought a house here about two years ago, that was built in 1995. There is currently a pellet stove insert in the fireplace. Nice, but I need a heat source that will work when the power is out, so I'm wanting to install a ventless LP gas log. I removed the pellet insert and its stainless flue, and discovered that the original fireplace and flue behind the insert appear to be a Heatilator. Whoever installed the pellet stove damaged and removed parts of the Heatilator to make the stove fit. It's not safe to use as it is, and I'm going to have to fix it, or do major construction to replace it. The model number on the dataplate is AC415401. I find absolutely nothing on the web about this model. Is there a parts list available for this unit? Are any parts available?

Greetings from Western NC. Just bought a house here about two years ago, that was built in 1995. There is currently a pellet stove insert in the fireplace. Nice, but I need a heat source that will work when the power is out, so I'm wanting to install a ventless LP gas log. I removed the pellet insert and its stainless flue, and discovered that the original fireplace and flue behind the insert appear to be a Heatilator. Whoever installed the pellet stove damaged and removed parts of the Heatilator to make the stove fit. It's not safe to use as it is, and I'm going to have to fix it, or do major construction to replace it. The model number on the dataplate is AC415401. I find absolutely nothing on the web about this model. Is there a parts list available for this unit? Are any parts available?
Some pictures might help.

I would very strongly recommend against ventless logs. They are not ventless they are room vented and are not meant to be a real heat source. Also they are rarely allowed in zero clearance fireplaces

Gas logs these days have remote controls. Talk to your propane dealer and a stove store and see how much it would cost to remove and replace the metal fireplace. It looks like a gas fireplace could be 2-8 thousand dollars. You could see if there are rebates and free financing.
If you are going to use propane you could get radiant and convective heat at the same time.
My mother is 92 and switched from a wood fireplace 10 years ago, She loves her propane remote control fireplace if she can find the remote.

What kind of gas log I'm planning to put in this fireplace is not really relevant right now. What I need to find out is what a Heatilator AC415401 is. I find it odd that I can't find any information on this model anywhere. Is there a parts list available for it? Are any parts available? That would help me decide whether this thing is worth trying to repair or whether I need to replace it with something new.

What kind of gas log I'm planning to put in this fireplace is not really relevant right now. What I need to find out is what a Heatilator AC415401 is. I find it odd that I can't find any information on this model anywhere. Is there a parts list available for it? Are any parts available? That would help me decide whether this thing is worth trying to repair or whether I need to replace it with something new.
Did you try calling heatilator? That may be a serial # not a model #. Can you post a pic of the tag?

That number I posted was indeed a serial number. I now see the model number above it. Pix included.

I need a source of heat in the winter in case the power goes off, which it does from time to time. I plan on having some sort of LP gas log in it, (suggestions welcome) but I need to be able to remove the gas log and burn wood in it if I have to.

The flex tubing runs all the way to the top of the chimney. I'm going to have to remove it. The bottom grill is missing, and the damper and some of its hardware is missing. I did find a parts list, but I haven't tried to source any of the needed parts yet.

Sooooo. Would it be possible to make this one work (SAFELY) or should I think about some kind of replacement?

heatilator.jpgHeatilator 2.jpgHeatilator 3.jpg

It's a model HB42A. The manual is here:
Parts here:

That number I posted was indeed a serial number. I now see the model number above it. Pix included.

I need a source of heat in the winter in case the power goes off, which it does from time to time. I plan on having some sort of LP gas log in it, (suggestions welcome) but I need to be able to remove the gas log and burn wood in it if I have to.

The flex tubing runs all the way to the top of the chimney. I'm going to have to remove it. The bottom grill is missing, and the damper and some of its hardware is missing. I did find a parts list, but I haven't tried to source any of the needed parts yet.

Sooooo. Would it be possible to make this one work (SAFELY) or should I think about some kind of replacement?

View attachment 283016View attachment 283017View attachment 283018
There is no option for having a gas log set in a factory built wood burning fireplace and also being able to switch over to wood when you want to.
It is either or. You can install a gas log set in a factory built wood burning fireplace if the fireplace manufacturer allows it. The install manual will tell you whether or not it is approved.
If you then want to go back to wood, you would have to remove the gas line and return the wood burning fireplace to it's original, un modified condition.

There is no option for having a gas log set in a factory built wood burning fireplace and also being able to switch over to wood when you want to.
It is either or. You can install a gas log set in a factory built wood burning fireplace if the fireplace manufacturer allows it. The install manual will tell you whether or not it is approved.
If you then want to go back to wood, you would have to remove the gas line and return the wood burning fireplace to it's original, un modified condition.
Provisions for a gas log set are listed on page 18 of the manual.

Reactions: EEProf