Unknown insert maker and age

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlincourt

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
Western MA
I just bought a house which has a fireplace with an insert. I am unsure of the maker and how old it is. I would like to get a blower for it but am unsure of what I will need for efficiency and safety. I would like to use this as a secondary source of heat. Thanks for your time.

Welcome. A picture is worth a thousand words and almost a necessity in this case.

Does this attachment work?

Attachments

• INSERT.jpg
    INSERT.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 310
Picture helps a lot. I wouldn't spend much on this old installation. It is not much more than a set of glass doors with a heat plenum.

BeGreen said:
Picture helps a lot. I wouldn't spend much on this old installation. It is not much more than a set of glass doors with a heat plenum.

Wow. Your eyes are better than mine, BG...

Usually, but not always.

Thanks for the help! I will be buying a new insert next year but need to try and get as much out of this one as I can for the season.
I can try and take a better pic, maybe inside as well just so you have the full picture.

I don't think it is a true insert. It looks like a prefab fireplace. The clearances are wrong for any type of fireplace/insert. Be careful you don't burn the house down.

I was wondering about that, but it does look like it has a true surround. Note the insulation hanging out of the right edge. DWBMHD can the surround be removed for a looksee at what is behind it? It would be good to know if this is really a masonry fireplace or a prefab and if it is an insert, see whether it is slammed in (no connect) or if there is a stub of a liner on it.

Posting image enlarged and lightened.

Attachments

• INSERT.jpg
    INSERT.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 178
I will post another pic tomorrow. As an FYI I have pulled the unit out to clean behind it and it is all one piece. The grate you see above and below the glass is a connected channel that (I think) operates as the air comes in the lower grate it would come out heated above it. Again I will post better pics tomorrow.

The grate you see above and below the glass is a connected channel that (I think) operates as the air comes in the lower grate it would come out heated above it.

That's the way I saw it too. It's looks like a basic convective insert. A simple fan or fans could be rigged to blow in the bottom for increased output. But I wouldn't spend big bucks on the project.

Did the stove have any sort of flue liner on it or was it just slammed in there?

I didn't see a flu liner so I think it's just slammed in there. Are there different useful techniques to burning in a "convective" insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.