Upcoming purchase - Is a breckwell SW3100I Mahogny insert good price at $999?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitzel

Oct 1, 2014
Portlande
Hi

Looking at wood burning insert rated at 80k BTU. It is being sold for around a grand with blower and beauty plate. is this a good deal?

I have not heard of them before, I see they are located in Eugene, OR. I see the CL ad that your looking at, not much info about Breckwell out there, on here they seem more popular in the Pellet stove section.

Nice looking insert, the bay windows will blacken up, don't expect them to stay clean with no airwash. It looks like it has the fan in the back? That would concern me when it comes to maintenance and replacement. $1000 for that size insert is about in line with others like the englander 13 nci and SBI XTD 1.5. I like the looks better on this one.

Can you give us some details on your setup to make sure this will heat your house?

have about 1250 SQ ft up stairs and a 300 sq ft den downstairs. Plan on installing in fireplace downstairs and have it provided heat upstairs.

Think this unit would do it?

I have not heard of them before, I see they are located in Eugene, OR. I see the CL ad that your looking at, not much info about Breckwell out there, on here they seem more popular in the Pellet stove section.

Nice looking insert, the bay windows will blacken up, don't expect them to stay clean with no airwash. It looks like it has the fan in the back? That would concern me when it comes to maintenance and replacement. $1000 for that size insert is about in line with others like the englander 13 nci and SBI XTD 1.5. I like the looks better on this one.

Can you give us some details on your setup to make sure this will heat your house?

This insert is on the small side. Got any pics of the fireplace you are looking to install this in? Got some dimensions of it?

I can't help but wonder if this will bake you out of the den in order to get some heat upstairs.

Do you already have seasoned wood set aside to use in this?

Hi I will try and get pics tonight. I have my name on one of the units and need to pic it up by tomorrow. We have a fireplace upstairs, but my wife doesn't want the wood mess upstairs.... tryng to pick my battles here.

I have no seasoned firewood, however my work has hard wood pallets that I was going to use to burn. to gt me through this season. I used to burn wood exclusively living in Idaho, but its been years since I had to do that.

Wood pallets burn fast and hot, unless you have some wood to mix in with them I would figure out something different for this year, maybe biobricks? You are also going to need a 6" stainless steel liner installed in your chimney to install this properly.

Mellow,

completely with it on the liner. I have already measured it off and will need a 30 foot run of the 6in.

Biobricks are like those compressed wood chip logs right? I can probably supplement with those or some wood from a friend who has a large stash.

So I am still torn on if I this unit. I suppose I can always move it upstairs if I find it to be lacking downstairs....

Thanks for all the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.