Upland 17 parts????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWilk117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
So I’m thinking about seriously pulling the trigger on a rebuilt 17. From the photos it looks to be pretty mint. One thing though it doesn’t have the top radiator plate. I know that’s not necessarily necessary, but I’m wondering if anyone out here may know where I could find one... @webbie

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

I found this:

Not sure if your terminology was correct, but it's the only Upland part they have...

Reactions: TWilk117
Thank you, but that’s not what I’m referring to. The 17 had an additional casting on top of the fire box. Resembling a heat register or a radiator grate.

I’m curious if once Upland was resurrected in Medford NJ, did they make them without that?

Thanks to any ideas or insight

Reactions: DAKSY
There are only a few of these out here about the 17, one of em @webbie posted a video of the Medford factory. If that’s the old shop and shed row I think it is, I’m pretty sure I’ve taken a piss and smoked some silly cigarettes right around there when I was younger.

Two suggestions making your own; If you’re decent with wood, make what you need and have it cast from your pattern. Not expensive at all, and I’ve made a few replacement parts that way. Second way is with steel if it’s flat. With multiple steel strips on edge, drill holes and connect them with threaded rod with nut between each piece. Like a miniature storm drain that is slats with reinforcing rod welded across or through them.

Reactions: TWilk117 and DAKSY
I think I’m liking it better without the top plate thing. Nice clean lines. Easy to cook on. Large cooking surface.

Attachments

• CD4324BF-D83D-4926-841E-1FEE963576A5.jpeg
    CD4324BF-D83D-4926-841E-1FEE963576A5.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 107