UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slclem

Jan 9, 2010
Eads, TN (West Tennessee)
I have a 5500 watt gas generator with switch panel wired to my main panel. I use this during power outages. Do I need a UPS when powering my stove with the generator? If so, what brand and size do you recommend? Thanks.

If the unit is a decent quality, it should be fine. In general, since generators use a rotating stator in a wire field (like regular power companies do), it should produce a fairly decent "pure" sine wave output....that's what you want.

If I were you, try the stove with the genny power and see if it runs/sounds like normal. Also, make sure the genny is outputting 120V +- about 3 volts. Adjust throttle to get the right voltage.

As for the UPS, if you want to keep the stove running while you switch to genney power during an outage, then the answer is yes. There are a few good units available. Do a search on the forum under "UPS".

I run the APC BE750g UPS.

I consider it it absolutely necessary weather running on the genny or not to use the UPS. It accomplishes the same thing whether the power goes out, the genny runs out of gas or a CB is tripped. The stove goes into shut-down and the house doesn;t fill up with smoke

Now, not all generators are created equal. I have a nice, high-quality Generac 8500E. And I will not run certain Items on it and simply can not run others. For instance, I will not plug any of my computers in when I'm running generator power. However, I tried to run my dishwasher and no dice. Its a fancy new Kitchen Aid job with more electronics in it than any water-using machine rightfully should. So I went out and bought an awesome little Honda EU2000i. It has a different type of inverter technology that actually does produce a pure sine wave. It was however, more expensive than the big boy, for a 1/4 of the output.

The generac output is generally pretty stable. VAC is 120v +/- 2v but it is the hertz that will get you. The way it was explained to me is that most circuit bords rely on timing from their computer chips. Your normal wall outlet puts out 60Hz or 60 cycles-per-second. However, the generators usually put out 'close' to 60Hz, though not always. If something large calls, there is going to be a drop in RPM in the motor thus affecting the Hz output, producing a 'dirty power.'

I have seen fried TVs, nuked hard drives and varying other circuit board failures related to running on a generator. While most of them could be prevented by a good surge suppressor, I'm still not taking any chances, especially not on my heat source, especially given all the computer controls in the Harman.

Someone that is running a low(er)-tech stove, maybe something like the Enviro EF-3 may have more likely be confortable, but for now, I'm going to use the fancy one.

Another thought, if you have a battery backup system for your stove, the batteries will soak up any 'dirty-ness' and the inverter portion of the system will provide good stable power.

Does the APC BE750g UPS produce clean enough power to run your stove. I thought that was a "simulated" sine wave version. I may be wrong however! Also what kind of range can you get with it, I am just looking for something that will run my stove for 15-30 mins to either get the generator out or shut the stove down properly.

It isn't designed to. It provides a combustion blower only shut down by pulsing it a few seconds at a time until the fire is out or power is restored.

Ok I see, I was just curious as to how it worked is all. I have tossed around getting a ups but for what I want to do it looks like it would be fairly expensive. I am still weighing my options. I don't really need backup power as I would just use my wood stove when needed. I am more looking for something to bridge the gap between blowing a breaker or when our power blips off for a minute or two. For some reason where I am we lose power for short periods fairly regular, at least once every couple of months.

I use a UPS and like the fact that it cleans up unstable utility power during winter storms protecting the pellet burner's electronics.

When utility power does go out I turn the pellet burner's thermostat to minimum and the Harmon AUTO/MANUAL switch to MANUAL to reduce the load on the UPS from the pellet burner's igniter and motors. It gives me more time on the UPS to connect the backup generator, get it started and get power back to the pellet burner. The minute the generator is suppling power the UPS automatically switches to the generator which is also handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.