US Stove 1600 ? - Control of Dampers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08brute

Sep 30, 2009
South Dakota
First I want to say that you guys have been a great help so far and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I am going into my second season of wood heating and i have some questions about damper control.

I run a US Stove Clayton 1600 w/o autodraft. It has the damper for the chimney, the regular intake damper, and an intake damper down on the ash door.???

Currently I;
1. start a fire with the door and flue damper open
2. let it get hot (15 minutes)
3. shut the door but leave the intake damper open until im burning really hot
4. shut the flue damper almost all of the way and shut the intake damper so it is only open a sliver to contain the heat and slow the fire

Does this method sound correct?

My main problem when using my stove like this is that when i open the door the flames seem to jump out at me even though I first open the flue damper. Do I maybe have a draft problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.