US Stove 6039 I have a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewood

Jan 2, 2013
Last year the stove worked just fine with no problems. This year I change the herringbone brick. When I started the stove up I notice the exhaust fan would cycle on and off at start until it hit the right temp. I never notice this before is this normal? I had some old pellets from last year still in the stove and I use them first. The flame looks to be very lazy no matter what I did. I even change the pellets to new one and still the same thing. The ash pot is clean too. Any suggestions?

I notice the ash pot fills up with pellets too

You either have blocked exhaust, blocked supply or an air leak somewhere.

First, do a deep clean of the stove. Behind the ash clean outs, the entire exhaust vent (leaf blower trick), vent brush the whole nine yards. If you haven't yet, remove the exhaust fan and clean the fan the housing out too. You will need a gasket or rtv silicone to replace the exhaust fan.

Second check the air intake. If you have an oak make sure nothing built a nest or debris didn't get in it.

Third, check for a leak somewhere. The dollar bill trick for the door gasket. Make sure all ash clean outs are fully closed or anything that could cause air to bypass the burn pot.

Once all of that is clean you should be able to correct the burn.

I have a 6041 which is very similar to your stove and it does the same thing during start up where it cycles the exhaust fan. I'm not sure why it does but it didn't always do this. It only impacts start up so I haven't dug in to a solution yet, but if you find anything out let me know.

My house had a USSC 6039 installed when I moved in at the end of last winter. I didn't run it back then but when I would hit the on button the exhaust fan would cycle on and off like you described. I discovered it was packed full of ash and cleaned it out over the summer. When I just lit it for the first time tonight the fan stayed on and didn't cycle like before. I'm also burning the old pellets the previous owners left behind in the hopper.

The exhaust fan cycling is predicated upon the vacuum sensor sensing firebox pressure, nothing more. Like stated above, you need to do a deep clean including the exhaust piping all the way to the vent cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.