US Stove 6039 - Performance with bad blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goode2shoes

Dec 23, 2011
Southern IN
I thought I would post these pictures to show how my stove performed prior to installing a new combustion blower.

Everyone has been so very helpful and nice with all the advice and responses in my previous posts and I wanted to show everyone what I was dealing with, which wasn't pretty.

I know I'm a novice and a stumbling student of a pellet stove but even I knew I had problems!

Attachments

• Prior Install blower - typical ash results - 1-21-12.jpg
    Prior Install blower - typical ash results - 1-21-12.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Prior Install blower - firebox ash - 1-21-12.jpg
    Prior Install blower - firebox ash - 1-21-12.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Prior Install blower - fire brick-box ash - 1-21-12.jpg
    Prior Install blower - fire brick-box ash - 1-21-12.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 289
Hey goode2,
I'm pretty much a novice myself....... that's the way both my 6039 and 6041 look after a couple of bags of pellets, depending on what brand I use. You're pics look to be what I consider "normal".
Have you installed a new combustion blower?

Just noticed also in your first pic that the damper appears to be pulled all the way out.........is that whe you set your damper ?

I've invested a lot of time, energy and money on trying to bring this used unit up to standard. I always thoroughly clean the stove after every 6 bags of pellets and cleaning out the exhaust blower, combustion blower, using rubber mallet and beat the sides and back of the fire box (after removing the firebrick), cleaning out the troft behind the back wall through the 2 holes behind the firebrick, exhaust pipes, etc.

I have only purchased 2 tons of pellets this winter. The first ton was Indeck hardwood and the current/recent ton is Ozark hardwood.

I just installed a new low limit switch and combution motor and I've gotten a much improved flame/fire!

But, I've had the stove at HR-5 for over an hour now and it is only putting out heated air of 152 degrees (heat taken with instant read thermometer). I would think it should be putting out much hotter air than that! Correct?

My fuel feed rate is: HR1 - 2.5 and HR9 - 5.5.

When I have the stove at HR1 through HR4, I have the damper pulled out from 3/4" to the HR4 setting at 1 1/2".

When I have the stove at HR5 I have the damper pulled out 1 3/4".
When I have the stove at HR8 to HR9, I have the damper pulled out all the way.

I'm wondering if I need to raise the fuel rate more? As I hope you can see in the pictures that the level of fuel in my fire box isn't coming up to the level of the axle of the agitator. So can you advise me if I should have more fuel in my fire box? Could that be my problem? I just don't know what other mechanical problem I could have.

I've attached pictures of the fire and the fire box for you to look at regarding the quality of the fire. It is much easier for you to actually see what kind of fire I have than me trying to explain/describe the type of fire I have.

Attachments

• After Installing - HR-3 Flame - 1-21-12.jpg
    After Installing - HR-3 Flame - 1-21-12.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 199
  • After Installing - HR-3 Firebox - 1-21-12.jpg
    After Installing - HR-3 Firebox - 1-21-12.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 191
  • After Installing - HR-8 Flame - 1-21-12.jpg
    After Installing - HR-8 Flame - 1-21-12.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 203
  • After Installing - HR-8 Firebox - 1-21-12.jpg
    After Installing - HR-8 Firebox - 1-21-12.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 222
Pics of the firebox looked pretty good prior to installing the new blower.

You had an excellent fly ash pattern and great ash color.

That firebox told the story of complete combustion. IMO..

Glad its burnin better. But looked pretty good.. (pics can only say so much, maybe they didnt tell the whole story) ;-P

Thank you Dexter!

I'm trying very hard to get my stove where I can really read it.

Now that I'm using the Ozark pellets, I'm NOT getting the heat that I was prior to installing the new combustion blower and using the Indeck pellets.

I'm now trying to make sure that I don't have another mechanical problem (due to lack of high heat) or if it is just the pellets. I'm thinking it is the pellets. I'm thinking if I increase the fuel feed the heat will come up in intensity???

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.