US STOVE 8500 Pellet furnace control board question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Coachdaddy

Feb 16, 2015
New Providence, PA
I have a new US Stove 8500 pellet furnace that brought me to the brink of madness! I have a 3000 sq/ft home in PA were the temps can (and have) be in the single digits with 15-20 m/hr winds. This furnace was sold to me as being able to achieve a 105,000 BTU (12+ lb) input. But it's never even gotten close, only 9+ lbs. The fire box gets too hot and the circuit board cut the feed rate way back to compensate. Unfortunately dropping back the draft fan settings and/or the damper opening only serves to create an over flowing burn pot with semi burnt pellets. Just how in the world can you have over temp feed rate cut back AND unburnt pellets, AT the same time!??? I've been at this for months folks, and have a furnace log that would put "War and Peace" to shame. Please, is there anyone out there with any familiarity or insight with this furnace. What can i possibly do to achieve the right combination of upper Feed Rate setting, Draft Fan setting and damper opening to get 12.8 ish pounds of pellet to burn cleanly? Surely someone at the Ministry of Fire can help me out! I eagerly (and unfortunately, SHIVERINGLY) await your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Mr Coachdaddy

I'm having similar issues with mine! have been fighting this since 1st of Dec. I've replaced window and door gaskets, ash pan etc control board with still no resolve. Ive been working with Owen who is quite knowledgeable but to no avail so far.Have you had any luck?

I'm having similar issues with mine! have been fighting this since 1st of Dec. I've replaced window and door gaskets, ash pan etc control board with still no resolve. Ive been working with Owen who is quite knowledgeable but to no avail so far.Have you had any luck?
Hi Shawby1, I actually have made some inroads to getting the burn rate up. It's a lot of little pieces so if you want to discuss stuff in detail over the phone (I type to slowly to have a coherent conversation), here's my email [email protected].
Now for the basics. First go to this thread "king 8500 ?s" on the forum "The pellet mill - pellet and multifuel stoves". I'd link it, but it's just not in my skill set. In there you can copy off a set of the master control settings and how to change them. Then watch the EXTREMELY HELPFUL hints & tips videos by LAND/AIR MECHANICAL on YouTube.
I have set my furnace on manual (my control board is so screwed up (wildly random results) that i can't use auto). My Feed Rate is 6.00-13.00. Since in manual mode the Draft fan is automatically set at 100%, you need to control the air mix with the Damper. My Damper is set at 1" for Pr-3, 1.25" for Pr-4, and 1.5" for Pr-5. However I would suggest that you start off 1/4" greater and see how that burns. It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that ALL of the pellets remain in the burn pot. If you do not add enough air to burn the pellets IN the pot the resulting spilled over coals start to EAT AWAY at the furnace walls.
Before setting any new parameters clean the thing totally, and I mean totally! Brush out the flue, and vacuum every speck of ash out of every nook & cranny. Unfortunately this thing has no forgiveness (or mercy), and when it gets dirty the problems just snowball out of control. And then nothing you do will get it to recover :confused:
I look forward to hearing back from you, and hopefully these tips will bring you closer to warmth.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.