US Stove Company - 2000 sq. ft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2013
Boonton, NJ
I am in the market for a new stove. The NC-30 requires that I build a new hearth (unless someone tells me differently). The hearth requirement for NC-30 has an R value of 1.5. I have 1/4" james hardie fiber board screwed into an oak floor with 1/2" slate tiles attached to that with thin set mortar. My wall has veneer stone with a 1" air gap form the combustable wall.

I saw the US Stove 2000 on sale at True Value for $699.

Wanted anyones honest opinions on this stove. Thanks so much.

To briefly summarize what seems to be the common experience here: The US2000 heats but lasts only a few years before problems come up that are not worthwhile fixing anymore. If you are looking for a large stove with ember protection only check the Drolet XL line: Myriad, Legend, Baltic, HT2000. If a 2.4 cu ft firebox would be enough for your heating needs the Englander Madison requires only ember protection.
My wall has veneer stone with a 1" air gap form the combustable wall.

That only matters if the stove you are getting specifically allows reducing wall clearance with a heat shield. Is there also a 1" gap at the bottom over the hearth?

To briefly summarize what seems to be the common experience here: The US2000 heats but lasts only a few years before problems come up that are not worthwhile fixing anymore. If you are looking for a large stove with ember protection only check the Drolet XL line: Myriad, Legend, Baltic, HT2000. If a 2.4 cu ft firebox would be enough for your heating needs the Englander Madison requires only ember protection.

That only matters if the stove you are getting specifically allows reducing wall clearance with a heat shield. Is there also a 1" gap at the bottom over the hearth?

No gap over the hearth, meaning on the floor. I had a Dutchwest Non Cat. (had a bunch of problems and sold it).

No gap over the hearth, meaning on the floor. I had a Dutchwest Non Cat. (had a bunch of problems and sold it).

Sorry to say that but then it would not be considered a ventilated wall shield and should not be used to reduce clearances even when the stove model would allow it. You may get some thermal protection from the dead air space behind the shield but far less than what you get from an open, ventilated shield.

What type of burn times are you getting with you US Stove 2000? I have 2 year seasoned white oak and live in NJ.
I would fill it with seasoned cherry or maple on a cold night in the deep of the winter around 11:30 PM and wake at 5:30 to a bed of hot ashes.......my 2000 has two burn seasons on it heating a 2100 SQ Ft. home......I wished I had gotten the US Stove 2500 after the first year. It's what I could afford so it's what I purchased....it has not been all that bad for us

Sorry to say that but then it would not be considered a ventilated wall shield and should not be used to reduce clearances even when the stove model would allow it. You may get some thermal protection from the dead air space behind the shield but far less than what you get from an open, ventilated shield.

I mis-read your question. So, there is a 1" gap from the hearth up to the first layer of veneer stone.

A couple options to turn this into a ventilated wall shield might be to either open up the bottom for an inch to allow air to pass. Or if this is an interior wall is there access on the other side where bottom air inlet grilles could be placed? Or just get a stove with relatively close clearances and remember the clearance is measured to the drywall behind the stone veneer.

Edit: Looks like we cross posted. Sounds like there already is a ventilation slot at the bottom.

Last edited:
A couple options to turn this into a ventilated wall shield might be to either open up the bottom for an inch to allow air to pass. Or if this is an interior wall is there access on the other side where bottom air inlet grilles could be placed? Or just get a stove with relatively close clearances and remember the clearance is measured to the drywall behind the stone veneer.

I misread the question from another user. So the veneer wall behind the hearth has a 1" gap from the wall and a 1" gap from the hearth. Is this the correct way to do it? My issue with the hearth that i built does not have the correct r value for the NC30. Could I just purchase a hearth pad and put it over the existing hearth? can l lay some 2" blue stone down and put the new stove on top of that?

Yes, the wall sounds ventilated as described. We cross posted so I updated my post with an edit.

You can build up the hearth but it takes quite a bit of insulation to get to R=1.5. and the air gaps at the bottom of the wall shouldn't be blocked off. 2" of bluestone would look nice, but that would be insufficient protection. The Drolet stoves that were suggested are worth considering as an alternative. They would not need a modification to the hearth unless it was not deep enough for the new stove. I'd take a look at the Drolet Legend II and the HT2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.