US stove company buyer beware

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chops

Feb 18, 2016
Chimney
Please for the love of god stay away. I bought the king pellet stove. Hasn't worked yet ,not even one burnt pellet. Controll board is out. The techs are just plain useless. Waiting on parts now. 3 times I was told that the parts would be shipped on certain date and doesn't arrive. So please folks take my advice stay away.

Sometimes big box stores are like that with things they sell...

But even then it usually only takes "may i speak to a manager please"
But generally you have a certain number of days to return any item to lowes or tsc for full refunds or exchanges.
The same thing can, will and has happened with every other brand of stove at some point. No diff than a new car or a new washer/dryer. There is always a lemon that slips through once in a while

I always had that fear buying my stove for Home Depot.. But after doing research knowing how englander was I went for it.. Seeing how easy it was to do your own work to the stove and how it's angled to people that can make there own repairs easily is what made me go for it... It really stinks when custemer service is not up to par..

A lemon is one thing, but poor customer service is a deal killer.

And yet the same things have been said about englander.. one of the best with customer service. There is always that one that blows everything out of proportion. Im not saying the op is blowing smoke but to only sign up to the forum to warn about a manufacturer? Never asked any questions about the stove or anything. I wonder how long the stove sat in the garage before trying to install it. I can tell you this. If i bought it new, brought it home and didnt work.. id be loading it back up and getting a replacement. I think there is more to the story than is being told.

The one major reason i like buying used. I never spend any more than im willing to lose. And 9 times out of 10 all of the bugs and quirks are already worked out. I dont mind working a little to save alot.

Good points, all.

And I share your philosophy on used items - I don't expect ANY customer service or warranty. I'm happy if I can get the parts I need reasonably, and I work cheap for myself. It's a lot less aggravation that way.

Most states have a customer protection law allowing a new bad product to be returned in a reasonable time no matter what is printed on the box. Protects a customer from bad products being dumped on them by stores and companies. I have returned several so called "don't return to store" items.

Reactions: rona and realstihl
I bought it in October. Buy we didn't install until February. Reason being we seen another house we were interested in. Tractor supply won't take a return after 30 days. Well we didn't move so we installed had town building inspector ok it. Went to fire it up and it never worked. And dealing with us stove company is horrible.

I have a summers heat made by England and bought at my local Lowes. 4-5 yrs and I love that pellet stove easy to run. Service dept was awesome. And easy to replace auger motor. Wished I had bought another. As far as I'm concerned King pellet stove and maker us stove company can go to hell. Buyer beware and that's solid advice

And yet the same things have been said about englander.. one of the best with customer service. There is always that one that blows everything out of proportion. Im not saying the op is blowing smoke but to only sign up to the forum to warn about a manufacturer? Never asked any questions about the stove or anything. I wonder how long the stove sat in the garage before trying to install it. I can tell you this. If i bought it new, brought it home and didnt work.. id be loading it back up and getting a replacement. I think there is more to the story than is being told.

The one major reason i like buying used. I never spend any more than im willing to lose. And 9 times out of 10 all of the bugs and quirks are already worked out. I dont mind working a little to save alot.
It sat in the house from middle of oct till the start of February in a dry room with heat. Removed a wood burning stove and replaced with this unit and it never work. And reps at us stoves give bad service and a few were down right rude

It sat in the house from middle of oct till the start of February in a dry room with heat. Removed a wood burning stove and replaced with this unit and it never work. And reps at us stoves give bad service and a few were down right rude

You are aware that you should set a new stove outside, plug it in and run it right? Not to knock you down any farther, but if you had done the initial test run and burn off in the drive way when you fot it home you would have known it was a faulty unit. Every customer service center in any department for any manufacturer has its bad days. Did they atleast speak english? If so then thats a +
I have gotten a run around before after waiting a couple months to report problems and try to get replacement parts myself. Not with a stove but with xmas gifts. But after some heated conversations i won. You have new parts on the way so thats good. Im sorry its taking so long to get them. But like i said every single manufacturer goes thru this same thing at some point in time. Sorry it was with you.

Forum member Owen1508 is a former US stove tech who would follow up on problems of this nature. No longer there but, once you're up and running, if you have operational questions ... he's the guy!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
You are aware that you should set a new stove outside, plug it in and run it right? Not to knock you down any farther, but if you had done the initial test run and burn off in the drive way when you fot it home you would have known it was a faulty unit. Every customer service center in any department for any manufacturer has its bad days. Did they atleast speak english? If so then thats a +
I have gotten a run around before after waiting a couple months to report problems and try to get replacement parts myself. Not with a stove but with xmas gifts. But after some heated conversations i won. You have new parts on the way so thats good. Im sorry its taking so long to get them. But like i said every single manufacturer goes thru this same thing at some point in time. Sorry it was with you.
I'm not saying that this is what the op did but I've seen on other forums people having trouble with USSC and starting out by saying things like stupid hillbillies, southern idiots, things like that. I've never had a problem with their support. I just think sometimes in customer service if they get the feeling that you are going to be a PITA it sets their PITA attitude going also. I've bar-tended over the years when I had a lay off, believe me your customer service skills can be challenged with people. Anyone working customer service can attest to this.

I truly hope you get your stove up and running and have good customer service from here out. Sometimes you have to sweeten them up a little to get what you want and deserve, you shouldn't have to, but you don't know how the previous 2 or 3 customers treated them and that could make for a horrible day for everyone. Just a thought!

Chops, I was angry at my stove dealer a long time ago and I came here to vent (no pun intended) also. I gave them ample time and opportunities to fix the issue and they didn't. But I also didn't name them publicly because I felt it would be unfair to malign a small business on my skewed/angry point of view.

You should try to post more information regarding the technical issues you are having so people can try to help you through your problems. Trashing a stove manufacturer without giving technical reasons and evidence is kind of unfair. There may be another reason why the stove is failing that is not stove related (venting or power source).

Reactions: FirepotPete

US stoves are not a top of the line stove. Here is a interesting fact. Harman is known as a top of the line stove but one little known feature is if you have a warranty problem you have to go to your dealer you bought it from. OK I understand that . Our local Harman dealer died and the other dealers refused to do warranty work. The company refused to furnish parts under warranty because we didn't go through the dealer even though he had passed away. The company said we had to go through the company rep who told us to contact the company. At that point I made up my mind the importance of a Harman warranty was pretty much useless.
Some people love their US stove but they usually have modified them to improve how they work and are not afraid to void any warranty.

Reactions: MikeSs
Chops, I was angry at my stove dealer a long time ago and I came here to vent (no pun intended) also. I gave them ample time and opportunities to fix the issue and they didn't. But I also didn't name them publicly because I felt it would be unfair to malign a small business on my skewed/angry point of view.

You should try to post more information regarding the technical issues you are having so people can try to help you through your problems. Trashing a stove manufacturer without giving technical reasons and evidence is kind of unfair. There may be another reason why the stove is failing that is not stove related (venting or power source).
I agree that more information should be posted. However, US Stove has also had plenty of time to comment on this forum to correct any misinformation or to help solve the problem. They have not.

I also have been in retail 4 decades and I have had a handful of idiots over the years that are impossible to satisfy. It happens. I have also learned that when we have a problem with something, the odds of another problem with the same customer are amazingly high, even though it is not the customer's fault. Sh*t happens. If a package gets lost in the mail, there's a 50% chance the replacement package will also get lost. I make a point of either delivering the replacement personally or arranging to meet somewhere. When the second call comes in, you make damn sure that things get corrected even when your cost is more than any profit you were supposed to make. Social media can crucify a business today.

I second this thread. And have had major problems with us stove. Im filing complaints with the bbb. There customer service departments first goal no matter how ridiculous the accusations are is to spin any problem around on the customer. And when they have been proven wrong thier defence is to ignore you. ( still waiting for that return call ANTHONY p.o.s)

Lordmetal I couldn't of said it better. To resolve a dispute. A rep from us stove asked if I could forward the E mail from my conversation with the other rep concerning the issue she would call in back within minutes. She never returned the call. After a few E mails to her trying to get the issue resolved she sent an E mail back pretty much blowing me off. I'm done with with US stove and there service personal.

US stoves are not a top of the line stove. Here is a interesting fact. Harman is known as a top of the line stove but one little known feature is if you have a warranty problem you have to go to your dealer you bought it from. OK I understand that . Our local Harman dealer died and the other dealers refused to do warranty work. The company refused to furnish parts under warranty because we didn't go through the dealer even though he had passed away. The company said we had to go through the company rep who told us to contact the company. At that point I made up my mind the importance of a Harman warranty was pretty much useless.
Some people love their US stove but they usually have modified them to improve how they work and are not afraid to void any warranty.
I beleave I'm on my own with this stove, and I'll just keep tinkering around and seeking advice from other owners. I do have a summer heat made by England and for a cheap stove it's really easy to maintain and fix. Sometimes less is better.

I beleave I'm on my own with this stove, and I'll just keep tinkering around and seeking advice from other owners. I do have a summer heat made by England and for a cheap stove it's really easy to maintain and fix. Sometimes less is better.
I have two summers heat and this hunk of junk us stove King pellet.

I have two summers heat and this hunk of junk us stove King pellet.
There are a lot of people here who have that same stove and probably would be willing to try and help you get it running. If you could post what the problem(s) are with it you might still get some use from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.