US Stove Corner install drywall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerryjones88

Dec 16, 2021
Texas
I installed my stove with the 18” to combustible material and after the fire has been going for awhile I am noticing the gypsum with drywall mud seems to be getting warm.

I made sure the corners were 18” as the diagram listed on the installation manual.

Should I be concerned and install some form of backer with tile/brick, or is it ok?

I took a thermometer and the highest temp I am getting on the wall is 120.4 degrees F.
B5912A33-0244-434C-9DA7-5340B5B10D1D.jpeg C9AB7B27-9FFE-424B-8C13-DAEC3B84198F.jpeg 889473CC-F20E-4B4E-8ACB-15F49494BB6A.jpeg D1785860-6614-4EF0-99D0-7B0166152796.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a radiant and unshielded stove. 120ºF is ok and not untypical. If the wall temp stays below 160º it is safe.

I don't see a hearth pad. What is the floor material and construction?

This is a radiant and unshielded stove. 120ºF is ok and not untypical. If the wall temp stays below 160º it is safe.

I don't see a hearth pad. What is the floor material and construction?
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help!

Ok I’m totally new, what is a radiant unshielded stove mean?

The floor is stained concrete. It is slab on grade.

A radiant stove radiates heat in a straight line, like the sun, until it hits a barrier, like a wall, or furniture, or your body. Many modern stoves have side panels, spaced 1/2" from the stove sides. These dramatically reduce the heat radiated from the sides of the stove. The panels are usually open at the bottom and top so that heat can naturally convect upward. They also dramatically reduce corner clearances to as little as 3" depending on the stove design. The convective design also helps circulate the air in the room.

We had a very radiant Jotul F400 before the PE T6 for our corner install. In spite of having an additional 6" corner clearance than required the walls still got quite hot. Up to 165º when the stove was being pushed hard for 24/7, cold winter heat. With the bigger T6, installed closer to the corner, the walls rarely get over 130º.

I thought that might be stained concrete. Looks good.

A radiant stove radiates heat in a straight line, like the sun, until it hits a barrier, like a wall, or furniture, or your body. Many modern stoves have side panels, spaced 1/2" from the stove sides. These dramatically reduce the heat radiated from the sides of the stove. The panels are usually open at the bottom and top so that heat can naturally convect upward. They also dramatically reduce corner clearances to as little as 3" depending on the stove design. The convective design also helps circulate the air in the room.

Thank you we like the concrete! Super durable and easy to clean.

So this is not a shield? Sorry I’m learning and I really appreciate your help. Sorry for the stupid questions.

image.jpg image.jpg

So this is not a shield? Sorry I’m learning and I really appreciate your help. Sorry for the stupid questions.

View attachment 302600
Not a stupid question. Yes, sorry. It sure looks like it. The last US stove I saw was unshielded. I'm surprised it has such wide clearances with side shielding. Which model is this? Looks like it may be the Ashley AW3000E? Is the stove pipe single or double wall?

Just a guess, but now that I have the manual I note that there is only one corner clearance table for the Ashley AW3000E. Single-wall stovepipe has an 18" clearance requirement. Maybe they did not have it lab-tested for double-wall stovepipe. If they did, I suspect the corner clearance would be much lower.

Not a stupid question. Yes, sorry. It sure looks like it. The last US stove I saw was unshielded. I'm surprised it has such wide clearances with side shielding. Which model is this? Is the stove pipe single or double wall?
It is a vogelzang but it is manufactured by Us Stove. The model number is:

Model# VG3200-P​

The shields are still hot to the touch im showing about 165 degrees.

But the top is usually 250 plus so I guess they are working.

We did double wall stove pipe just because this was my first install and the duravent pipe was easy to match with the chimney kit we got.

Looks like they are all the same stove, but with different branding. It's also sold as the US3200E. This looks like a replacement for the Vogelzang Performer TR009 which had unshielded sides. I see several improvements. Keep us posted on how this works out for you. I think this is the first report we have here on it.

Looks like they are all the same stove, but with different branding. It's also sold as the US3200E. This looks like a replacement for the Vogelzang Performer TR009 which had unshielded sides. I see several improvements. Keep us posted on how this works out for you. I think this is the first report we have here on it.
Yea I think it is is the EPA replacement to the TR009.

Ok we definitely will! I got it at northern tool on sale last year for $1100 so I don’t expect it to be the best stove ever but we live in Texas so it doesn’t have to heat as much as somebody up north!

Thank you for all the help! I sure appreciate your time.

Have you been able to determine exactly what the air controls are doing? Does the primary air control supply the airwash air and the "high burn" control supply boost air to the base of the fire or does it actually regulate the air to the secondary tubes. The manual is confusing for the dual air controls. In one part they call the left control "secondary air" and in another, they call it the "high burn" control. The Ashley manual shows a series of 4 pictures with the controls at different settings, with no explanation or captioning. The Vogelzang manual is a little better, with the wood load size to the side, but it is still confusingly vague. The high burn air control sounds like boost air, but I would like to know where that air comes out from.

Have you been able to determine exactly what the air controls are doing? Does the primary air control supply the airwash air and the "high burn" control supply boost air to the base of the fire or does it actually regulate the air to the secondary tubes. The manual is confusing for the dual air controls. In one part they call the left control "secondary air" and in another, they call it the "high burn" control. The Ashley manual shows a series of 4 pictures with the controls at different settings, with no explanation or captioning. The Vogelzang manual is a little better, with the wood load size to the side, but it is still confusingly vague. The high burn air control sounds like boost air, but I would like to know where that air comes out from.
The left air control is completely locked on my model. The one on the right pulls air from under stove near the ash box. I assume since it is an epa model they have done away with the primary air control and it is just automatic, thankfully we have not had any issues with the air draw.

I'd check with US Stove customer support on that. I don't see anything in the docs saying it is locked. It might be jammed.