US STOVE MODEL 7000 GOLDEN EAGLE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69mustang

Jul 28, 2015
Ohio
I stumbled across a supposed high efficiency wood furnace by US Stove. It appears to be the same design as a PSG Caddy or Drolet Tundra. Has anyone had experience with this wood furnace?

I seen those too. I could hardly find any info on them anywhere, not a good sign.
I guess my thoughts on the matter would be to shy away from it, USSC typically is known for lower end stuff...

I called and actually emailed US Stove, and even then I couldn't get much info out of them...... Looks like this may be one to avoid.

To me it's just not worth the risk, for the money I'd go Tundra way before I'd go buying a mystery machine. At least Drolet is known for making good solid mid range stoves with top notch customer service. Even though they had a hiccup or two with the Tundras, they have taken care of everybody from what I have heard. Word on the street is that they will be releasing the newly modified/repaired gen 2 Tundras here soon.
Do you have wood heat now?
What part of O-H I-O you in? Assuming there is a 'stang in the garage?

I heat with wood right now with a 30 yr old dornback (used to make in cleveland), but it has seen better days so I am looking to upgrade..... I was looking at the Tundras but am a little hesitant as I have been reading about cracked fireboxes and and ash drawer that is not sealed off from the heat exchanger. I am from west central ohio. And yes there is a 69 'Stang in the garage.

I was looking at the Tundras but am a little hesitant as I have been reading about cracked fireboxes and and ash drawer that is not sealed off from the heat exchanger.
I'd still take my chances with the new Tundra way before anything from USSC. The ash drawer thing has been long fixed. The cracking supposedly is fixed on the new ones.
I actually just installed a Tundra that was warrantied for cracking. I'm gonna play with it a lil bit, see what it takes to stop the crack from spreading before the crack is actually "repaired"
Read about it here (my last post deals with the recent mods I did to it) https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/everything-drolet-tundra-heatmax.140788/

Reactions: DoubleB
Might say Uss in name- chi com construction

The 7000 and 7700 furnace look alot like the Caddy and Max Caddy. I wonder if SBI is building these for USSC or if USSC copied the design.
Any ideas?

Back when I bought my hotblast 1950, they were being built by SBI, the exact same thing as the Caddy, just a different name. It wouldn't suprise me if the same thing is happening here. They are awfully similar for it to not to be the case.

Looks mildly similar to me, I'd bet they are copies.
Not much info on 'em on the USSC site or anywhere else.
There is (was?) a USSC employee on the site, maybe he could enlighten? I don't recall his user name right now though...
Edit: I found him, @Owen1508 , hasn't posted here since spring though

I do not trust any thing from USSC from personal experience

If you check out the owners manual (available at northern tool) it looks similar to the Drolet Tundra/heatmax but with several differences: The inlet damper motor has a different location, the fan limit switch looks to be an adjustable unit, the ash grate looks different, it's set up for a plenum box on top instead of the 2-8" round outlets and sheet metal and access doors are different. The also list a much lower particulate output something in the 3.67/hr vs the 6.6 for the Tundra.

Actually this unit looks more like a copy of the tundra's upscale twin - the Caddy.

Last edited:
I just noticed that Menards now has the USSC GE 7000 and 7700 listed on their website, just an FYI...

As of a couple weeks ago my local Menards (Massillon) had the same dusty ole wood burner display they had up last winter...but tis the season soon, so it may change anytime.
Pretty bad when a grown man goes into the store to see their new stoves with the same anticipation as a kid going to see the new minibikes at the local bike shop! ;lol (ahh, the good ole days...waait a minute, what was so good about 'em? Couldn't afford and didn't have a minibike! Now I have several scoots and barely ride 'em! Crazy...anyways, rabbit trail ending in 3-2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.