US Stove won’t stop feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tommys34

Oct 14, 2018
MA
i have a 5660 US Stove. Turned it on today and the pellets kept feeding which made the flame way bigger than normal. I turned it off, not unplugged, and the auger kept feeding pellets. Any ideas on why this would be happening?

Which control panel do you have? The one with round buttons, or square buttons?

If the square button panel, mine uses the same one. Which runs the auger off solid state electrical parts on a board (not a mechanical relay). So if the auger runs steady anytime the stove is plugged in, makes me think the board is shorted.

I'm not familiar with the round button panel.

Which control panel do you have? The one with round buttons, or square buttons?

If the square button panel, mine uses the same one. Which runs the auger off solid state electrical parts on a board (not a mechanical relay). So if the auger runs steady anytime the stove is plugged in, makes me think the board is shorted.

My buttons are round. I will look to see what type of circuitry is on the board.

Odds are the Triac that controls the auger motor is shorted internally so auger runs 100% duty cycle. It's a $5 part if you can find someone to isolate it on the board and replace it.

Odds are the Triac that controls the auger motor is shorted internally so auger runs 100% duty cycle. It's a $5 part if you can find someone to isolate it on the board and replace it.
Right on jzm2cc... I just fixed this one on my board.. thanks to your help.. i have a spare board out of the stove.. i can take pictures of what i have... but mine had the square buttons as well

Here is a short unedited video of where the triacs are on a square button board and how I tested them. Not a great video but its somthing... hope this helps

Reactions: FirepotPete

Just to clarify. In the USSC manuals the round button panel is referred to as the A-B-C control panel. The square button is referred to as the 4 button control panel.

They do share some functions and how the boards function. So some information from the 4 button might be useful to an A-B-C board. There are not very many of the A-B-C boards still in use but there are a few that come up on this forum every year.

Even the 4 button control boards have different functions as the board versions have changed since being introduced. They are used by several different stoves and are programed for each. While I have the 4 button control panel on my 6039HF (the first to use it) and the 6041 uses the same board, my board does not support the igniter function as I do not have an igniter. Most of the 6041's also only have 5 heat range setting, while mine has 9. Mine shows HR, while the 6041 shows either Cr (for corn) or Pr for pellets on the display.

The internals are mostly identical, but the main functions are set in the burned in ROM memory and can't be changed at home.

USstove5660ControlPanel_large.jpg

image_287c0306-2a05-4c83-9d32-ed6a23bddd51_large.jpg

I've seen versions the board in the video on King stoves and others. But these photos are what I was referring to, the round button board and square button board. The round button board was used on the earlier 5660 stoves. The square button board was used on the later 5660 stoves, and the exact same part is listed for the 5770 and 5790 (both the panel and triac board beneath).