Usage tips for my MD-4G moisture meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I don't know what brand this is, and I haven't used it in a couple years, but I put a fresh battery in and was getting erratic readings. I split a fresh, wet poplar and it would give readings between 19 and 29% as I checked it over and over in the same wet looking location.

I moved to a pretty dry oak and was getting erratic readings too. This model has 4 pins and the bottom 2 pins seem more consistent than the top 2 pins. I assume it was meant to use all 4 at once but that produced the most inconsistent readings.

I made sure to solidly press the pins in the wood, didn't seem to help. I don't normally measure my wood but thought I'd check some recent slow burning splits that I thought were 2+ years old. Still not sure where they are at cuz of this whacky meter.

E4F789A6-9B9E-4022-8251-8886426F2C5D_zps8mwdp8ii.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.