Use for old hot water radiator's ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
I ve got a number of old hot water radiator's of various sizes & was looking for a way to put them to good use . I heat with wood & gas forced hot air but I was wondering if they might be used in a batch solar water heater . They are heavy so that's kind of a drawback , any ideas ?????

OOohhh....You oughta skip right over to the boiler section of this forum and post this. Those hot water guys will start to drool. Many put those back into use in water boiler setups.

Mater of fact - if you can get ahold of a mod - that may be the better place to post this (depending on your intentions).

Now if your just looking to make use of them in some other way - I got nothin'

i have seen mounds of them at the scrap yard.

Depends on how pretty they are. If they're square and plain jane it's not so great, but if they're embossed and have intricate scroll work they can be pretty valuable. As far as heat storage goes, steel and cast iron have about the same specific heat capacity, which is about 15% of H20. Its the water that holds the heat, not the metal.

I still use these in homes i remofel but try to find a way to hide the bulk in aninterior wall or under the floor. THe are hard to beat as they stay warm long after the finned baseboard has cooled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.