Used Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psirusas

Jan 22, 2011
eastern PA
What do you guys/gals think a decent price would be for a very good condition 8 yr old Fireview? I found one on craigslist. It sounds like combustor has not been changed but I don't know how much it has been burned. If I go look at it what would be the things to look for/inspect?

which fireview?

Psirusas, how about going to see it and taking some pictures. Then post pictures here and also ask Woodstock. No doubt it will need some work and Woodstock will indeed be of great help there. As for the combustor, they are around $100 and very easy to replace.

You can go to their website and find pictures of the Fireview. Go here: http://woodstove.com/progress-hybrid and then on the upper left, click on Woodstoves. On that page if you look on the right hand side there is lots and lots of information. You will probably find the section, "Maintenance and repairs" of great value. Also in their online store, you will see they have a maintenance kit that is very reasonably priced. Also do not fear calling them at 800-866-4344 as they can and will be a big help.

As for the price, that is difficult at best and would only be a SWAG at this point. Once you see it you'll be in a better position to judge. What to look for? Check first the door. Does it fit tight. Do the dollar bill test. Check the gasket on the door as any dark spots are a sign of a leak. Check the firebricks. Open the top lid and you can see the cat and can tell what shape it is in. Look at the gasket that goes all the way around the top of that top lid. If you remove the cat, there is another gasket there. Work the bypass lever while you have the top open. Notice another gasket. Does the handle work well? Is the soapstone scratched? Perhaps some spills on the top. These can be taken out quite easy but I would point them out as this could reduce the price in your favor. These are just a few things you want to be sure to check out. Please let us know what you find and good luck to you.

I sold my 5 year old Fireview for $1100 and it had a new cat and gaskets. If it looks in good shape I would probably offer $700-800.

There was one on my local CL that went from 1100 to 800, the person seemed desperate as the ad said that they were getting a new stove and needed this one out. It eventually fell off the radar so I don't know if they got their $800 for it but I looked at it more than once, telling DH we should ask if they'd take $500 and then dump the pellet stove for 2 FVs. :)

Good luck, and second the notion of contacting WS. All the parts are available and it's pretty easy to change them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.