Used pellet stove vs new one - should we consider?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AF Mom

Oct 3, 2016
ct
Hi:
My daughter is considering a purchase of a used pellet stove insert, instead of a new one. Cost is the main reason. She is looking at it at a dealer and was told they would fully refurbish it and test it (run it?) for a week before they will sell it to her. It is an Avalon Astoria fireplace insert. Not sure of the year (but will check that out), but how old is tooo old?

Installed with liner cost is $3,500 with a 30 day warranty. Seems like a lot to me. I'm concerned about buying anything used with electronics, mechanical moving parts. Any tips, recommendations, advice?

She is a 28 yr old first home owner and wants the supplemental heat.

Thank you all.
AF Mom

Way too much for a used pellet stove. At best worth half of the $3,300 new cost plus $500 or so to run pellet pipe up the chimney and cap it.

Others may think differently. And that 30 day warranty is a walk away by itself.

Reactions: heat seeker
Any other dealer options available? I'm struggling with them refurbishing, running for a week at their shop... don't they trust their own knowledge and work?

What's the breakdown stove cost, liner cost, install? How old is the stove?

way too much for a used stove

Where-about you at? In some states that is way too much, in other states it might be at least in the ball park. How old is the stove she is looking at? Still, probably too much for a used stove unless it is only 1 year old.

Yeah, and I would worry about that 30 day warranty. If they can't give 6 months (1 season basically), then that is a definite walk.

Run,don't walk away from that deal. I'm on the east coast where as we all know stuff ain't cheap. Crsigslist is flooded with stoves right now with harman inserts hovering around $2000 right now. During the summer,while working in a customers house she happened to mention she had an insert and wanted if gone cause they were switching to gas. I obliged and scored a 2011 accentra for $1000 with liner and 20 bags of Blazers. I sold it within week for $2000 to a lady in much the same position as your daughter.she had a friend who was willing to help her pick it up and I hooked get up with an installer. Don't be afraid to go that route. Not sure where you are and what pricing is like bug take z little time and explore all options.

I see you are in ct- were you at Dean's by chance?? They are big into Avalon/Lopi stoves. Their used deals usually aren't the best. While the Astoria is actually a very nice stove, used it should be around 1200-1500 max retail. Installation averages around here about 1000-1200. Agree with BB's post, that warranty is useless. We give minimum one year warranty on anything used. If you're looking for similar steel frame stoves, I'd also look at Quad 1200 Classic Bay, Enviro Meridian, Lennox Winslow, all are similar bay window styled stoves. That prob is a good quality stove, but that's a grand too much espec with no warranty. Good luck.

Reactions: bogieb
I see you are in ct- were you at Dean's by chance?? They are big into Avalon/Lopi stoves. Their used deals usually aren't the best. While the Astoria is actually a very nice stove, used it should be around 1200-1500 max retail. Installation averages around here about 1000-1200. Agree with BB's post, that warranty is useless. We give minimum one year warranty on anything used. If you're looking for similar steel frame stoves, I'd also look at Quad 1200 Classic Bay, Enviro Meridian, Lennox Winslow, all are similar bay window styled stoves. That prob is a good quality stove, but that's a grand too much espec with no warranty. Good luck.

Dear Stovelark and everyone else that replied:
You all confirmed my initial thoughts on the "deal" offered to my daughter... not so hot! I made a visit to local dealer today and their thoughts concurred with yours. I learned that we should expect to spend around 1000 to install and actually could get something new and installed for around 4000+ with rebates. Looked at a Harman p35i and a Quadrafire 1200. I liked the Harman because it sounded a bit easier to maintain (clean). Quad was priced better.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, suggestions about particular features worth considering?

More $ and thought will go into this process...for sure!

Many Thanks, AF Mom

PS Stovelark...good guesser
Lakegirl...craigslist stoves were gone but dealer very nice and helpful on the phone

Features worth considering: Hopper size (the larger, the less chance of hopper going dry if you are gone for extended periods of time), ease of cleaning (you already covered that), ash can size (the bigger, the longer you can go between cleanings), BTU ratings (although both are probably rated for more than needed), availability of parts (Harman parts are everywhere on the net and at dealers - don't know about Quad parts), Dependability, ability to use thermostat or self contained probe.

I don't know anything about the Quad, but if the price for a Harman can be swung, you can't really beat one of those. They are easy to clean/maintain; I've had other stoves, and I the Harman's are hands down the easiest for cleaning. Harmans have a reputation for being tanks that will burn any pellet with a minimum of fuss besides more ash. My basement Harman runs on a self-contained probe and keeps the area around it about 70*. My main floor stove is on a thermostat that is run to a room at the halfway point in the house.

Most Quad owners on this forum also seem to be happy with their stoves, but I do not have any experience with them to compare to.

Oh, and just so you know - I am a woman in her mid 50's who's first experience with pellets stoves was buying the P61a (basement stove) the winter of 2013/2014. I haven't had any issues with it and find it easy to work with. I have been so happy with it that I bought a P43 to put on the main floor and it kept me toasty warm all last winter without using the FHW boiler at all.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Hi AF- Yep thought so, ha. Can't go wrong with Harman or Quad. I'd throw Enviro, Lopi and others into that hat too. HHT (Hearth and home technologies) owns Harman and Quadrafire FYI.

My refurbished stoves are 1 year labor and parts warranty. Liner and install will be around $1000, so you have to look at the unit and decide whether $2500 is too much for insert. I would probably sell that same stove for $3000 installed but it depends what I have invested in the unit prior to refurbishing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.