Using a cast iron stove outdoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buxwheat

Dec 22, 2017
GA
I bought a Jøtul American Fireplace No. 8 back in the early 1980’s. I installed it in my fireplace and vented it into my chimney. When I moved back to Atlanta in the 1990’s, I intended to use it on my screen porch, but never got around to it. Fast forward to today and we are moving again. The new place has a zero clearance prefab fireplace so I can’t use it indoors. I will have a large patio, however, and would like to use it outdoors, like a chiminea only one that will actually heat us. What can I do to make it weatherproof? Any special paint that can withstand the heat and prevent rusting as well? Speaking of rust, it’s pretty rusty now and will need a lot of prep work. Not sure what to use on it. Also, if I can restore/weatherproof it, what do I need as far as stove pipe (rear or top vent, how high must the pipe go, type of pipe, pipe sources (I think it’s an odd pipe size), etc). Thanks for any and all suggestions.

It will never be weatherproof. Heating steel and iron accelerates oxidation (rust). If you want to paint it use a high temperature stove paint (Stove Brite) or try Rustoleum high temp BBQ paint.