Using fans to move heat...what do you use??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just wondered about the use of fans to move the heat around. I've seen those little "corner" fans sold in stove shops and hardware stores, but I read reviews that their pretty noisy......any thought or experience by the members here to help me decide what to use?

Thanks everybody!

nah they work good and they work cheap...For instance I used to have a house with a long run from the kitchen(where the stove was) to the living room 35 feet away and all i used was a small quiet computer fan and it used to raise the temps in the LR by 10 degrees if left on for an hour. That was a lot of years ago and the science has evolved...You can get a corner fan at home depot for about $20 and it is bigger than a computer fan ...but not as quiet.

Thats a pretty stove you got there! What did it set you back?

JPapiPE said:
nah they work good and they work cheap...For instance I used to have a house with a long run from the kitchen(where the stove was) to the living room 35 feet away and all i used was a small quiet computer fan and it used to raise the temps in the LR by 10 degrees if left on for an hour. That was a lot of years ago and the science has evolved...You can get a corner fan at home depot for about $20 and it is bigger than a computer fan ...but not as quiet.

Thats a pretty stove you got there! What did it set you back?

Thanks for the info....I had thought about a computer fan, as I knew they were real quiet, but not sure where to get them....any sources?

As for my stove, thanks for the compliment....I bought it from a local stove place that was going bankrupt/getting bought out. It was up on a shelf in their warehouse, and kinda had gotten forgot about, as it used to be a showroom floor/demo unit (2005 model)....it was in real good shape, and I got it for $1500. I love the BIG hopper (115 LBS), and I did the "poor man's gold kit/paint) myself. Just waiting on the last piece of stove pipe to come in so I can finish the install.

The corner fans I tried are pretty noisy. A 12" table fan on low is almost silent and moves a lot of air. If placed on the floor in the cold area, blowing towards the stove, it can be quite effective.

sawdustburners said:
proby nothing quieter than a ceiling fan blowing UP located near stove
fan noise is rated by SONES, the lower # the better.

Yep, I agree on the ceiling fans...I already have 2 in the great room in the front of the house where the stove is located, and run them reverse in the winter already...did this w/ my woodstove.

Since the great room has an open ceiling to a balcony to the upstairs bedrooms, I don't think I'll have any problems heating up there.

I actually am looking for the best way to move some heat down 2 hallways that are 15 & 21 ft long to get the heat from the front to the back of the house (office and master bedroom).

BeGreen said:
The corner fans I tried are pretty noisy. A 12" table fan on low is almost silent and moves a lot of air. If placed on the floor in the cold area, blowing towards the stove, it can be quite effective.

Would you put the fans at the beginning of the hallway, or the end blowing into the heated room?

It depends on the floor plan. But lets say the stove is in the living room and there is a long hallway with 3 bedrooms and a bath coming off of it. I would try placing the fan at the end of the hallway furthest away from the living room, on the floor, pointed towards the stove.

What you are trying to do is to work with mother nature and create a convection loop. Warm air will be pulled in to replace the denser cold air that is being blown towards the stove. It sounds a little counterintuitive at first, but try it. It really works.

BeGreen said:
It depends on the floor plan. But lets say the stove is in the living room and there is a long hallway with 3 bedrooms and a bath coming off of it. I would try placing the fan at the end of the hallway furthest away from the living room, on the floor, pointed towards the stove.

What you are trying to do is to work with mother nature and create a convection loop. Warm air will be pulled in to replace the denser cold air that is being blown towards the stove. It sounds a little counterintuitive at first, but try it. It really works.

Yep, I get ya. That's most likely what I'll end up doing, since I can get those small fans real cheap (hopefully on sale this time of the year), and they are almost silent.....one will be near my bedroom door, so I don't want it making a racket while I'm trying to sleep.....I don't want to get woken up during all my great dreams of fuel oil trucks driving PAST my house and not having to stop........ :lol:

My best luck has been with a 12" table fan. On low they are virtually silent and move a lot of air. The best part is that at the end of summer they go on sale at the local stores, just in time for the stove season!

Thanks BeGreen.....I'll be watching the local ads/flyers in tomorrow's paper for some great deals.

BTW, here's a couple of pics (w/ the woodstove still, but the pellet stove is in the same location)

Looking down from stairs to balcony, and the 2nd one is taken from where the wood stove is toward the hallway to my bedroom:

Attachments

• Great rm.jpg
    Great rm.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 688
  • great room 2.JPG
    great room 2.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 650
That first photo is a doozy dude. Was that taken with a fisheye lens? I have 3 ceiling fans in my humble abode and I plan to put a stove fan on my Englander...one that was made to screw into the back of the stove....

JPapiPE said:
That first photo is a doozy dude. Was that taken with a fisheye lens?

No, no fisheye lens...that's just the way it looks.

Actually, in the 2nd pic, you can see the stairway....I was standing at the top of that when I took the first shot.

here is what I found last year when searching for fans.

nailed_nailer said:
Well,

Thanks for all the responses. I work in electronics. I have access to literally tons of 12VDC fans. Some are quiet, some not. I wanted to go AC due to not having to use a transformer. I was just about to scrounge something else from the surplus store. http://surpluscenter.com BTW (Great place). When I stopped in to one of my local stove shops. They had a unit in a doorway just like I wanted. I asked the lady there if I could turn it on to see how loud it was. She said "It is on". I was shocked. This thing is silent. I didn't like the price tag but I figure keeping LOML happy is worth the $40.00 price. And I had it installed in about 5 minutes.

Brand is Imperial. Called General Purpose Fan. (sound efficient) http://imperialgroup.ca looks like about a 4"size
Comes with mounting bracket, 12' cord with in-line switch
Rating label says:
3000RPM, 110VAC, 60 cycles, 22watt, .24A, 105CFM at free flow.

So for now my problem is solved.

Thanks again,
---Nailer---

Thing is still running quietly and it moves the cold air back into the stove room very well.

Good Luck,
----Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
here is what I found last year when searching for fans.

nailed_nailer said:
Well,

Thanks for all the responses. I work in electronics. I have access to literally tons of 12VDC fans. Some are quiet, some not. I wanted to go AC due to not having to use a transformer. I was just about to scrounge something else from the surplus store. http://surpluscenter.com BTW (Great place). When I stopped in to one of my local stove shops. They had a unit in a doorway just like I wanted. I asked the lady there if I could turn it on to see how loud it was. She said "It is on". I was shocked. This thing is silent. I didn't like the price tag but I figure keeping LOML happy is worth the $40.00 price. And I had it installed in about 5 minutes.

Brand is Imperial. Called General Purpose Fan. (sound efficient) http://imperialgroup.ca looks like about a 4"size
Comes with mounting bracket, 12' cord with in-line switch
Rating label says:
3000RPM, 110VAC, 60 cycles, 22watt, .24A, 105CFM at free flow.

So for now my problem is solved.

Thanks again,
---Nailer---

Thing is still running quietly and it moves the cold air back into the stove room very well.

Good Luck,
----Nailer---

Tried looking for a fan on that Imperial website....couldn't find anything.....

It was on their website last year.

All the information from the fan is what I listed.

I bought mine at Cape Cod Stove Company

http://www.capecodstove.com/home.html

You could call them and see what their product line now is.

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.