Using firewood to barter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
Over the years , I've used split firewood to barter for rebar for my foundation, a handcrafted log truss for the porch roof =4 face cord , a 1 year old water softener = 2 face cord. I paid my taxes for 4 years from the tops after the property was logged. I have been able to do this because I have all the equipment needed to cut , haul out of the woods, split and deliver . Having 175 acres of hardwoods , its easy to find dead standing and trees that the wind has brought down . Just wish I had more time , 5 years to retire, can't wait.

While I haven't used firewood as barter I have use my other skills and knowledge. I love it and which I could barter more often.

Certainly nothing wrong with barter. We've done plenty.

Wow! Retiring to 175 acres of woods. Nice! Better than going to Florida.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Wow! Retiring to 175 acres of woods. Nice! Better than going to Florida.
Yeah , can't wait to move , permanently , in 2 yrs. Then I'll have time to build up my 3 yr wood supply. My plans are to have 20 cord CSS at the ready. Any extra , I may sell for fun cash.

Yeah , can't wait to move , permanently , in 2 yrs. Then I'll have time to build up my 3 yr wood supply. My plans are to have 20 cord CSS at the ready. Any extra , I may sell for fun cash.
Envious.;) I'm sure you deserve it.

Over the years , I've used split firewood to barter for rebar for my foundation, a handcrafted log truss for the porch roof =4 face cord , a 1 year old water softener = 2 face cord. I paid my taxes for 4 years from the tops after the property was logged. I have been able to do this because I have all the equipment needed to cut , haul out of the woods, split and deliver . Having 175 acres of hardwoods , its easy to find dead standing and trees that the wind has brought down . Just wish I had more time , 5 years to retire, can't wait.

175 acres? That sounds awesome! Don't wish your life away, retirement will come soon enough!

175 acres? That sounds awesome! Don't wish your life away, retirement will come soon enough!
Yeah , I know, it will be here before I know it, but I have so much that I want to do. I'm going to build a brew haus and a cheese room in my basement , walk in cooler ,with 4 taps through the wall . Fat , drunk and happy,,,,, not really , cutting and splitting wood will keep me slim , trim and happy.

I'd settle for middle-weight, a little buzzed and perfectly content.

Status
Not open for further replies.